English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I have suddenly been able to obtain English Muffins.

Can anyone suggest a good way to use them, please? What can I put on them? Should I toast them first?

All suggestions welcome.

There are lots of ways to use English Muffins, but my favorite way for breakfast is to toast them (mine in the toaster oven with a bit of butter)(dh uses the toaster with no butter) and spread my favorite jelly, jam or preserves on them. Some use peanut butter as a spread, some cream cheese, some even toast with cheese on them. Also with a cooked breakfast just toasted with butter and no jelly, etc. I'm sure you will hear from others with their favorite ways.

PIZZA MUFFINS
Being from a family of 8 children and everyone not like the same things on their pizza. My mom made pizza muffins. She split them in 1/2 and lay them out on a sheet pans and place pizza sauce on them. Then in separte dishes she had all kinds of things to put on top. pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, onions, mushrooms, parm. cheese, mozzerella cheese, mushrooms, olives and green peppers. We would all fix our own and we were all happy. This and a big green sald and Kool aid-- made us all happy on Saturday nights . I rember we couldn't wait for the ALL in the Family to come on Tv on. . Now we are going back some years now -- I still fix them today.

I am a purist. I like then toasted as they are nice and golden brown and then slathered with butter.

When I was young, English Muffin Pizzas were what we ate after school all the time. They were easy to make and tasty. We would split them, put a spoonful of red sauce and then some cheese and maybe some toppings like pepperoni if we had any and then pop into the toaster oven until the cheese melted.

I second both the purist & pizza advice!!

I like mine either slathered in butter, or toasted & then covered with pizza sauce & melted mozzarella cheese.

they are great sandwich and burger buns, toasted. or use for a tuna melt (tuna salad, cheese, tomato, broil till browned...yum)

Toasted, with a bit of butter, with many slices of avocado is always a welcome treat for me!

When I was young, my mom would make creamed egg or creamed tuna and serve it on english muffins. Another idea would be something like creamed chipped beef. Anything creamy is good, as it is held by the 'nooks and crannies'.

advoca said:
I have suddenly been able to obtain English Muffins.

Can anyone suggest a good way to use them, please? What can I put on them? Should I toast them first?

All suggestions welcome.

Go thru all the recipes here - very cool ideas:

http://198.173.254.252/recipes/

Use them as a base for crostini/bruschetta, stuffing mix for poultry, little pizzas, sandwiches, in place of breadcrumbs, etc.

Last edited:
jkath said:
When I was young, my mom would make creamed egg or creamed tuna and serve it on english muffins. Another idea would be something like creamed chipped beef. Anything creamy is good, as it is held by the 'nooks and crannies'.

My mom did that too, with creamed eggs or creamed chipped beef. Something I do that my mother didn't, is add peas, mushrooms, and sometimes pimentoes.

Funny thing, my 33 yr old daughter was asking me other day if I'd make some creamed beef for her soon...she doesn't know how. She wasn't interested in cooking when she was growing up...I did well to teach her how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Guess I need to teach her how to make a white sauce. I have to give her credit though...although she couldn't cook much of anything when she got married, she was smart enough to marry a man who knew how to cook. And now, she's a pretty good cook...and a great baker. Her Red Velvet Cake beats any I've ever tasted.

Hey! What a lot of lovely ideas. Thanks everyone. I am so grateful. Thanks again.

I will try them out (I like the idea of eggs Benedict. Must try this)

I am dubious about simple butter because I used to do this with what we called pikelets (with oodles of butter), which are similar but not quite the same. But I shall try.

Ahh, good old Eggs Benedict. Since my husband doesn't eat red meat, I've made it very successfully using both slices of turkey bacon sliced in half, as well as pieces of sauteed turkey ham. I've also seen it made beautifully with cooked or smoked salmon as the "meat". The only standbys seem to be the English Muffins, eggs, & Hollaindaise sauce.

butter them --> toast --> in between add in ham or spam, sticky rice mixed in with a little rice vinegar and a very small amount of soy sauce like 2 drops? (form rice using a ring cutter into a small patty like shape), add sushi seaweed, egg however way you want it and there you have something i had in hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom