"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Head Chef

Although I sometimes put rosemary or roasted garlic in olive oil, my favorite is just salt.

Grated cheese and pepper flakes are pretty good.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
jabbur - it's very dangerous to keep this stuff mixed up and ready in your refrigerator already in the oil. I have seen some nasty stuff growing on the herbs after a matter of just days...and I washed them too! What I do is just mix as I need it. It's simply a bit of basil, flat-leaf parsley, rosemary and/or thyme if you like, kosher salt and cracked black pepper - - - oh, and garlic if you so choose. Just put some of this mixture on a plate and pour on some olive oil. MUCH safer!!!!
That was the way I was thinking since that's the way it was done at Carrabba's. He has to be judicious in his fat intake. His last cholesterol and triglycerides were high. I know olive oil is one of the good fats but he still should be careful how much he eats. I figured if I mix it when we are eating it would be the way to go.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
That was the way I was thinking since that's the way it was done at Carrabba's. He has to be judicious in his fat intake. His last cholesterol and triglycerides were high. I know olive oil is one of the good fats but he still should be careful how much he eats. I figured if I mix it when we are eating it would be the way to go.
That's perfect. My little grandson loves dipping so i keep fresh herbs, evoo,roasted garlic, and different salts, all in separate containers and mix a little at a time for him..
kadesma
Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Jabbur, the first time we ever had bread with dipping oil was at Carrabba's as well. I haven't tried it at home, but I will definitely try it soon. I'm glad you reminded me.

Barbara
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
I would buy extra virgin and place it in a heated pan with rosemary and minced sundried tomatoes, maybe even a clove of garlic. Let simmer for a while as the flavors infuse then remove and set aside for crusty bread dipping.
There is no sense in using extra virgin if you are going to simmer it. EVOO is meant to be used uncooked!

You can steep your herbs in the oil just fine without heating it.

I would buy a REALLY good evoo for dipping, and use it alone. OR you can use a grocery store evoo and buy a bottle of dried Herbes des Provence and crumble herbs between your palms to release the oils and fragrance right into the oil. Then let that jar sit overnight. Your oil will be fragrant and yummy
Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

all of the above herbs and combinations are great. i personally love olive tapenades also. i think you could tweak this concept to make a nice dipping oil.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Master Chef

Okay, so I picked up some Capelli EVOO and some rosemary. Already have oregano thyme and garlic at home. Hope to try this combo tonight at dinner.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Sounds good. Like CJ said, I would try to go by the idea "less is more" so you make the oil and bread shine instead of covering it up. You could also make a couple different oils with different ingredients.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
DH and I went to a Carrabba's for the first time. Enjoyed the food. DH particularly liked the crusty bread with olive oil and herbs for dipping. I thought about having some on hand here at home but am hopelessly lost as to which herbs to get as well as a good tasting olive oil. What do you guys use or can suggest?
I like dried tomato, basil and red pepper in oil.. very tasty.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
How bout parm or romano cheese?

Tags
None