"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need help with appetizers..making ahead of time

Hi

Next Sunday, 2/17 I am having a party for my DH's b'day. It will be at one o'clock in the afternoon. This is so folks can come right over after church services. We live in a kind of rural area, and it's a "schlep" to get to my house.

Anyway, among other things, I will be serving a mushroom pate, hummus, stuffed grape leaves.My home is small , so I am serving things that people don't have to sit at a table to eat.I would like to prepare these items 2-3 days in advance. Do you think they will hold well?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Lyndalou

Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not very familiar with pates, but the hummus and stuffed grape leaves will hold up fine. I make hummus regularly, especially in the summer, and it's best if the flavors have time to meld. For the stuffed grape leaves, this site says they can be refrigerated for several days: Stuffed Grape Leaves with Mixed Ground Meat and Rice - Greek Recipe for Dolmathakia me Kima

Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Hummus, yes. Dolmades, yes. As for the mushroom pate, I would worry about it getting too wet. Might want to hold on that one.

just my $.02
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

How do you make the pate? I make some stuff from mushrooms and it can hold on for few days just fine.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
London broil sliced VERY thin. Marinate in some red wine, Worcestershire, garlic, and olive oil for a day before cooking. This can definitely be prepared in advance. Make a mayo-based spread (think Bearnaise ingredients) with shallots, a bit of sour cream, horseradish, tarragon, a bit of white vinegar, salt, pepper, and serve on an assortment of rolls.

You might want to peruse the Appetizer Forum also. It's loaded with great stuff. Also, check out the Special Events sub forum - good ideas there too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
lyndalou,
Do you like veggies alla vinaigrette? They can also be prepared in advance, I particularly enjoy eggplant vinaigrette.
Vittello tonnato is also a great dish, similar to the one kitchenelf described.
Shallots caramelized with honey on sherry with sherry vinegar are also easy and tasty.
Let me know if you want the recipes, I don't know how to attach files to notes here.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

figs or dried apricots, stuffed with mascarpone or cream cheese, then drizzled with lavendar honey are wonderful. Add some toasted nuts to the cheese. That's my fav.Another goodie is artichoke bottoms stuffued with a fish mousse.Cucumber slices topped with crab..
kadesma
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thank you all for some great ideas. I already planned to make a beef tenderloin for sandwiches with pickled red onions and a horseradish dip.

Charlie D, I cook the mushrooms in butter along with garlic,onions,and spices. They are cooked until they are fairly dry and cool it.
Then I finely chop nuts in a food processor and add enough olive oil to make a paste. Combine with mushroom mixture taste for seasonings and refrigerate. I bring it to room temp beore serving.

Will it hold for a day or two, do you think?

Thanks again, everyone.

Lynda
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Hi

Next Sunday, 2/17 I am having a party for my DH's b'day. It will be at one o'clock in the afternoon. This is so folks can come right over after church services. We live in a kind of rural area, and it's a "schlep" to get to my house.

Anyway, among other things, I will be serving a mushroom pate, hummus, stuffed grape leaves.My home is small , so I am serving things that people don't have to sit at a table to eat.I would like to prepare these items 2-3 days in advance. Do you think they will hold well?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Lyndalou
Sounds yum. Think you should be okay with the pate & hummus. I would try to make it the morning of - if not possible, the day before & put in tupperware/closed containers. Have not had any experience w stuffed grape leaves, but think it would be best prepared the day of. Just my opinion. Have a great party.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Senior Cook

How about mini meatballs? Served on pinsticks. Can be prepared up to 1 or 2 days in advance and kept in the fridge, until ready to bake or grill.

Tags
None