Pickapeppa appy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Want a quick appy for drop in company? Here is one my girls love and we always keep on hand
Put a block of cream cheese on a pretty plate and pour a bottle of pickapeppa sauce over it...Serve with fancy crackers.. and your favorite drink..We use this almost all summer when we are outside and around the pool even the little ones like it..
kadesma

It's a Jamacian sauce made with onion,tomatoes, vinegar, mangoes,raisins, garlic ,peppers,thyme,cloves. Wonderful poured over cream cheese.
kadesma

A lady who worked with us at camp was from Jamaica and actually made this sauce. It was incredible! She served it over brown rice. But I can just imagine it over cream cheese.

She also made an ice tea that was the most incredible I have ever tasted. She used tea and added lime and lemon juice, honey and something else that I wasn't too sure of. On a hot summer day after serving breakfast and lunch to 600 people it was a wonderful way to end a shift!

I get it at Von's, which would be Safeway on the east coast. Been doing the cream cheese bit for about 40 years now and haven't tired of it yet.

I'll bet that iced tea had a spash of rum in it!

You don't know what the special ingredient was lol

picapeppa sauce not only sounds delicious, but has such a cool name that it must be delicious.

I get it at Von's, which would be Safeway on the east coast. Been doing the cream cheese bit for about 40 years now and haven't tired of it yet.

I'll bet that iced tea had a spash of rum in it!
Unfortunately, Safeway doesn't come down this far. I don't even know if they have it in West Virginia, certainly not along the route I take between NC and PA. I saw one in Reston. I don't even remember seeing one in PA but it seems there may be a few. :( I miss Vons. I really miss Vons.

Callisto, you should check the condiments or ethnic foods sections of whatever larger grocery store you have nearby. If they don't have it, do you have any gourmet food stores? It may be a little more expensive there, but believe me, it is well worth it. The other thing is you can always try buying it online.

Last edited:
Food Lion does exist but it is by far and away NOT Vons/Safeway. Not even close. As a matter of fact, they've got this weird thing, they have three different names in the same city, Food Lion, Bloom, and Bottom Dollar. Bloom gets the good meat. Bottom Dollar gets the stuff that comes in that's mislabeled or almost expired, and Food Lion is in the middle. It's a weird grocery.

It sounds like something Harris Teeter would carry and I have to go to the lake tomorrow, so I'll look there. I mean, anything you can pour over cream cheese is thumbs up in my book.

Food Lion does exist but it is by far and away NOT Vons/Safeway. Not even close. As a matter of fact, they've got this weird thing, they have three different names in the same city, Food Lion, Bloom, and Bottom Dollar. Bloom gets the good meat. Bottom Dollar gets the stuff that comes in that's mislabeled or almost expired, and Food Lion is in the middle. It's a weird grocery.

It sounds like something Harris Teeter would carry and I have to go to the lake tomorrow, so I'll look there. I mean, anything you can pour over cream cheese is thumbs up in my book.

Callisto, there is the exact same thing here in arizona. AJ's fine food it the store with all the best product, like whole foods, just local. Next in line is bashes, and then the store with the least good quality products is food city. They are all owened by the same company. Bashes is like safeway quality.

Strike One ~ Harris Teeter. Did not have and I have to go back because the peach salsa I bought had been opened. YUCK!!
Yuck is right...This is the kind of thing that drives prices up and causes me not enter the store again.
kadesma

Yuck is right...This is the kind of thing that drives prices up and causes me not enter the store again.
kadesma
I was surprised it didn't have one of those plastic seals on it and then I opened the other jar and there was a pop, the peach salsa did not have a pop.

I'm going to check Lowe's and maybe Bloom when I go out again.

Back
Top Bottom