"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sad to say, I have no idea what duck, or duck fat, might taste like. My dad was a hunter and brought home plenty of wild ducks and geese when I was a kid, and I, after a taste, refused to eat them.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #82
Executive Chef

well dawg, high time to give it another go then, no? you may have been put off by the gamy taste as a child. i've never had anyone taste duck for the first time who didn't like it.... :)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #83
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Wild and farm raised will have different tastes.

I am not one to tell someone they should try something again they don't like (I hate when people tell me I just haven't had the right *their* grits).

Duck is one of my favorite meats, but don't expect the wild ones to have a lot of fat. The geese I have cooked were wild and the amount of fat I got out of them was disappointing.

What did you dislike about the wild duck?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Wild and farm raised will have different tastes.

I am not one to tell someone they should try something again they don't like (I hate when people tell me I just haven't had the right *their* grits).

Duck is one of my favorite meats, but don't expect the wild ones to have a lot of fat. The geese I have cooked were wild and the amount of fat I got out of them was disappointing.

What did you dislike about the wild duck?
I was little, I just remember it being gamey and nasty, with my mom warning us to watch out for buckshot!

Will have to give it another try some time!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #85
Certified Pretend Chef

My daughter, who is not known for a willingness to experiment with new foods, applies perfect logic to her refusing to eat duck. "It's all dark meat and I don't like dark meat."

To which I reply, "Roast beef is all dark meat and you don't have a problem with that." All to no avail. Oh well, more for me.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
My daughter, who is not known for a willingness to experiment with new foods, applies perfect logic to her refusing to eat duck. "It's all dark meat and I don't like dark meat."
Precisely! Smart girl!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #87
Executive Chef

The duck in my pic was frozen, Sainsbury a national and more upmarket supermarket chain had the 2.2kgs = 4.85 lbs British duck reduced from 9.99 to 4.50 = $7.20 so as I like duck I tried one, it was delicious so I went back and bought 5.
I never buy frozen chicken because of how they are reared, ducks and geese have to be free range or barn reared with internal ponds otherwise they do not thrive.
This link may interest you the ducks are reared fou the UK and European Chinese restaurants, Cherry valley has 75% of that market.The link is below.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #88
Executive Chef

Welcome to Cherry Valley - supplier of duck for catering and chinese cuisine - Cherry Valley
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #89
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
just a few more stray thoughts for your duckling adventure. be sure to roast some potatoes alongside your duck in the oven, even if you have other potato plans for your meal. you'll be glad you did. they'll sponge up all that ducky goodness. yukons, please. your packet of innards is a hit or miss affair. sauteing the liver(if you get it) and smearing it on bread is what i do with it too, something to snack while hungrily waiting for the ducky...adding some chicken giblets to the duck's works well if you liked a giblet stuffing. i love my sauerkraut bavarian style, with a generous ladle of duck fat, some caraway and brown sugar. duckling and sauerkraut go together like peaches and cream. (just a reminder) :) your rendered fat will keep, like bacon grease, indefinitely in your fridge. it will become a prized go to cooking companion for months to come....god tin, between you, bolas, and jessie, i've worked up a mighty strong craving for a duck myself. somehow, thanksgiving seems like way too long to wait any more.... :)
You're making roast duck sound entirely too tempting, especially the part about liver on toast. Mmmmm. A trivial question: Are they always ducklings; if not, is a juvie preferred over just duck if I should have a choice at the frozen bird bin?

My dear DIL, who is a 'particular' eater, won't eat things that are the wrong color -- no purple beans, no yellow cauliflower, etc. Just won't try them. Still and all, I don't have to guess about her likes and dislikes, none of this, 'well, I'll try it, but I won't like it' then, surprise, not liking it. I've moved on from that particular dead horse - can't see the point.

PS: No one can make me like likkerish.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #90
Senior Cook

I know a good joke involving duck fat. Put it in the freezer, then scoop it into a bowl with an icecream scoop and serve it to somebody as lemon sorbet. Watch their face turn as they realise. Disgusting I know.

Tags
duck, duck fat, fat, other