Your Favorite Appetizer To Make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no problem :) I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do , in case you won't be able to find leek soup, try onion soup:chef:

By the way , I forgot to say hello to everyone :rolleyes: . I love to bake and cook, thus whenever I have few minutes I experiment with new recipes:mrgreen:

I would like to apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes I may make - English is my second language, but I hope that it will be more of the benefit than inconvenience, since I can always help with any questions about european cuisines:)

Paula said:
no problem :) I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do , in case you won't be able to find leek soup, try onion soup:chef:

By the way , I forgot to say hello to everyone :rolleyes: . I love to bake and cook, thus whenever I have few minutes I experiment with new recipes:mrgreen:

I would like to apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes I may make - English is my second language, but I hope that it will be more of the benefit than inconvenience, since I can always help with any questions about european cuisines:)

Hi Paula.
Welcome to DC. Hope you will enjoy the forum and the people here. No need to apologize. Looking forward to exchanging thoughts, fun and recipes. (YUM. European cusine.) :)

Mississippi Sin

Paula's Pumpernickle Bread dip reminded me of the bread dip I've made for the neighbor's Open House party on New Year's Eve. I use sourdough bread for the bowl, then buy a variety of rolls to cut up for dippers. Fantastic!

Lee

Mississippi Sin

This recipe was inspired by one I found in the cookbook "Favorite Recipes from Union Baptist Church Cooks" Tylertown, Mississippi and it’s a show stopper. Tinkered with? Of course! In fact the recipe is somewhat of a standard and variations can be found in many cookbooks. It’s become a family favorite. This is my version.

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, (8-10 oz)

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1½ cups sour cream

½ cup chopped cooked ham

1/3 cup chopped green chiles

1/3 cup chopped green onions (green parts)

2 cloves garlic, pressed

¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1-1lb round loaf French or sourdough bread

1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced

Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Set dip aside.

Cut a thin slice from top of bread loaf; set slice aside. Using a gentle sawing motion, cut vertically to, but not through, the bottom of the loaf, ½ inch from the edge. Lift out center of loaf; cut into 1-inch cubes, and set aside. Fill hollowed bread loaf with dip; cover with reserved top slice of bread loaf. Wrap loaf with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Mix in the diced tomatoes and serve with reserved bread cubes and crackers.

Makes about 4 cups of dip.

Attachments

• Mississippi Sin.JPG
    Mississippi Sin.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 211
I attended a very fancy dinner last week with wonderful starters served!

Spinach stuffed mushrooms - I have no idea how to make them but they were wonderful. I suspect,however, that they were resting in Hollandaise sauce.

An old standby - Prosciutto wrapped Honeydew - (not the bet melon)

but the best one was was bacon wrapped scallops! You just can't beat the flavors of bacon and seafood! It reminded me of various "Rumaki" I used to make - bacon wrapped around pineapple, water chestnuts, and (my personal favorite) chicken liver chunks. Just wrap, spear with a toothpick and broil until the bacon is crisp - turning only once.

Very Yum!
After those wonderful appetizers dinner, though very good, paled!

lindatooo said:
Spinach stuffed mushrooms - I have no idea how to make them but they were wonderful. I suspect,however, that they were resting in Hollandaise sauce.

Somehow I doubt it was a hollandaise simply because the mushrooms if they were a medium to large cap would take
probably 6 to 8 minutes in a 425 oven.The hollandaise would
easily seperate.They might have mixed the hollandaise with
the spinach and other ingredients after the s'rooms came out of the oven.Actually that doesn't sound too bad,I'll have to try that technique.

Was there a crust of some kind on top?Cheese?Bread crumbs?

More than likely the other ingredients that made up the filling were sauteed with the spinach,add the cream, reduce,then stuff the mushrooms,and into the oven.
Just an educated quess though.

Paula, this one is all MINE! :mrgreen: I'm going to jump right in and take a "dip." Great pic. I've saved the pic and recipe - calling it "Paula's Dip." Thank you. I'm ready to party.

partydip9pp.png

Last edited:
we should have a dancing icon here- this one is pretty good :) :clap::clap:

mish, I will try to submit few more really nice recipes somewhen during this week- so keep your eyes open :mrgreen::mrgreen:

w/respect to the mushrooms...there was no topping - it was just all soft and yummy- I could probably get the recipe if I wrangled enough...want it?

I'm so outta date here.. lol.. but I still really love those little tiny bread slices w/ the browned sausage and velveeta :rolleyes:

Hot Bacon Cheese Spread

1 16 ounce loaf round bread
12 slices bacon, crisp and crumbled
1 8 ounce package Shredded Colby/Montery Jack cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup mayonaise
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Cut the top of the bread off, removing center leaving the shell 1 inch thick. Cut removed bread into bite size pieces and set aside.

Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon into hollowed out bread shell. Cover shell with the top piece of the bread, and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve with the bread pieces or crackers.

makes about 3 1/2 cups.

Note: To reheat, microwave filled bread shell with the top on for 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring once

Some awesome recipes guys. Here's one I make called Hanky Panky

brown 1# ground beef & 1# italian sausage.....drain off the fat. Then put it back in the pan and add 1# block of velvetta cheese, 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Stir until the cheese is melted.
Serve on Party Rye Bread. I keep mine warm by transferring it to a slow cooker.

This stuff is so good that people always request it.

I haven't looked at all of the posts, but what great ideas. If I'm fixing a full meal at home I do a really light relish tray -- fresh, pickled or marinaded veggies, maybe a bit of cheese and bread/crackers, but not much. I want my guests to be hungry when they sit at the table. When I go out to a party where the appetizers are the meal, I make an artichoke dip. Others make a spinach and artichoke dip, but everyone tells me they like mine best. The spinach can water it down, and wringing it out can be such a chore.

1 can artichoke hearts
1 pkg Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 c mayo
1/4 c parmesan (you can actually use the dry stuff in the green container)
few dashes hot sauce

Food-process until creamy, sprinkle extra cheese on top, bake until bubbly and brown on top (425 for as long as it takes ... 15 min maybe ... I've found my numerous ovens to vary a LOT in how long this takes).

Serve with triscuits, slices of a baguette, or any other favorite to spread upon.

Hot Reuben Dip

1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 cups shredded cooked corned beef

In a slow cooker, combine the sauerkraut, cream cheese, Swiss cheese, corned beef. Cover, and cook on high for 45 minutes if you're in a hurry, low for longer if you're not, or just until hot and cheese is melted. Stir occasionally while cooking. Serve with cocktail rye or crackers.

Many variations you can try. Thise recipe is great with good beer and good friends. Enjoy! :)

Back
Top Bottom