"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Thanks for this GQ! My hubby loves gravy and complains that, since I almost never ever serve gravy with a meal, (except turkey at Xmastime) he feels the plate looks dry.

I will definitely give this a go, with different kinds of meats, and veggies.

btw: what is a 'hob'? (it's in Jamie Oliver's writeup)
A Hob is a stove.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
A Hob is a stove.
hey princess
in the uk,when we talk about the hob it's the burners or hotplates(i think you guy's call them stove tops) above or separate from the oven that we're referring to.over here a stove is something we chuck fuel in to heat a room.
but we're over here & you're over there and it's your site & i ain't going to argue with a mod so......you're right!!!
harry

Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Senior Cook

LOL, thanks for the definitions, PF and Harry! Isn't it amazing how different English can be in different English-speaking countries. (but I must admit there are a few Brits here in Canada who don't think we speak "the Queen's English" whatever that is.

I wonder how many kinds of English (as in language) there are.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
LOL, thanks for the definitions, PF and Harry! Isn't it amazing how different English can be in different English-speaking countries. (but I must admit there are a few Brits here in Canada who don't think we speak "the Queen's English" whatever that is.

There are a surprising number of recognized variants of English. There is the English spoken in India, Quebec English, Jamaican English, etc., etc.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There are a surprising number of recognized variants of English. There is the English spoken in India, Quebec English, Jamaican English, etc., etc.
half the world speaks better english than most of "the english" trust me,i live hear!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
hey princess
in the uk,when we talk about the hob it's the burners or hotplates(i think you guy's call them stove tops) above or separate from the oven that we're referring to.over here a stove is something we chuck fuel in to heat a room.
but we're over here & you're over there and it's your site & i ain't going to argue with a mod so......you're right!!!
harry
I always understood it to be what we would call a stove. The top and not the oven. Any cooktop, really.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

So what is a hob goblin?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Head Chef

I don't intend to offend anyone, but why do you make Chicken Gravy for Turkey? If you don't want to eat the dark meat you could always buy the whole turkey and use the dark meat and bones for your gravy. Then roast the Breast separately. Here the whole turkey is cheaper then just the breast. Here also they sell turkey legs and thighs that make great gravy.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

In fact I had a roasted turkey thigh for dinner tonight. They're delicious, easy to cook, and inexpensive.

Turkey full breasts ("crowns") are ridiculously priced. I'm not so sure that the same crown sold with the whole turkey attached is any more expensive than the crown alone. (And I don't mean per pound.)

I think it all comes down to whatever is convenient. IMO turkey gravy and chicken gravy are more similar than different, and the taste more dependent on what fats are included, cooking method for whatever meat, bits and fats included, and seasonings, rather than whether you used a turkey or a chicken.

As far as "crowns" I'd rather have the other part that's left after you dethrone it. I hope the vast unwashed public does not discover that dark meat has a better taste. Oops I let the secret out...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
In fact I had a roasted turkey thigh for dinner tonight. They're delicious, easy to cook, and inexpensive.

Turkey full breasts ("crowns") are ridiculously priced. I'm not so sure that the same crown sold with the whole turkey attached is any more expensive than the crown alone. (And I don't mean per pound.)

I think it all comes down to whatever is convenient. IMO turkey gravy and chicken gravy are more similar than different, and the taste more dependent on what fats are included, cooking method for whatever meat, bits and fats included, and seasonings, rather than whether you used a turkey or a chicken.

As far as "crowns" I'd rather have the other part that's left after you dethrone it. I hope the vast unwashed public does not discover that dark meat has a better taste. Oops I let the secret out...

Well DUH!! But you get less meat, fat and bone for the same price. Are you just trying to?

Tags
chicken wings, recipe, stock, vegetables

Get Ahead Gravy Hey, I'm a Gravy Queen, I love Gravy. I want to share with you a fab Jamie Oliver recipe for get ahead gravy . I make it in advance at Christmas now, its sits in the freezer nice and well behaved. Good for any occasion where you want to prep ahead. I buy turkey crowns now and I found you don't get as many juices as a whole bird for making gravy. So the juices I do get go into the get ahead gravy on the day. Oh I would add that as personal preference, I leave the star anise out. This is the recipe and I will share my step by step photos. [url=http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=get-ahead-gravy]Jamie Oliver - Magazine[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews