In search of the ultimate Peppercorn Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S7ewie

Assistant Cook
I love a Peppercorn Sauce with my steak. I've been to a few restaurants over the years that have done a fantastic one (and have a few milky tasteless shockers too). But I've been unable to replicate it myself in the kitchen.

I ordered a book the other day and received it today called "The Sauce Bible", 400 fail-safe recipes on sauces, dips, dressings etc. The front cover even has, what looks like, a picture of a Peppercorn Sauce but it's not even in the book :(

I usually start with a bit of butter, finely chopped shallots and fry them until soft, add a beef stock and reduce it by half or more, then add some cream, add either crushed peppercorns or green peppercorns in brine and reduce it until thick.

I like it pretty thick and pretty peppery. I tried with crushed black pepper because peppercorns in brine are so hard to get ahold on now. But I think it's better with the green ones. But I've done it before and the brine added a bad taste to the Sauce. I've tried drying them which seems to help. Someone also suggested washing them? I always worry about washing things like that in case I wash too much of the flavour away.

Anyway it always seems to turn out different but never quite like it does in the restaurants.

Any tips?

Thanks

I love a Peppercorn Sauce with my steak. I've been to a few restaurants over the years that have done a fantastic one (and have a few milky tasteless shockers too). But I've been unable to replicate it myself in the kitchen.

I ordered a book the other day and received it today called "The Sauce Bible", 400 fail-safe recipes on sauces, dips, dressings etc. The front cover even has, what looks like, a picture of a Peppercorn Sauce but it's not even in the book :(

I usually start with a bit of butter, finely chopped shallots and fry them until soft, add a beef stock and reduce it by half or more, then add some cream, add either crushed peppercorns or green peppercorns in brine and reduce it until thick.

I like it pretty thick and pretty peppery. I tried with crushed black pepper because peppercorns in brine are so hard to get ahold on now. But I think it's better with the green ones. But I've done it before and the brine added a bad taste to the Sauce. I've tried drying them which seems to help. Someone also suggested washing them? I always worry about washing things like that in case I wash too much of the flavour away.

Anyway it always seems to turn out different but never quite like it does in the restaurants.

Any tips?

Thanks

Have you tried to Google Peppercorn Sauce? I am sure there are plenty of recipes there for your to experiment with. Also try YouTube.com

I unfortunately can't use any condiment with excessive heat. So that is the only help I can give you.

Have you tried to Google Peppercorn Sauce? I am sure there are plenty of recipes there for your to experiment with. Also try YouTube.com

Oh trust me I began googling it a long time ago :LOL:
There's lots of variations of it and I've tried several but I'm not getting what I want. What I wrote above is basically the closest I've come to what I'm after.

Why not just make Steak Au Poivre?:mrgreen:

I think that's a similar thing anyway right? I'll take a look at some recipes for that. I'm specifically after that sauce though.

One of the problems I have is that I know a lot of sauces I made in the pan using the juices from the steaks. I cant do that because I use a cast iron grill pan to cook mine and the second I pour any cream onto it it just burns and sticks.

So I might be better off with a new pan?

My friend, who is a chef says that you need to have good port, a great stock and lovely red wine that compliments the port to get a good peppercorn sauce and trust me, I have his and it amazing.

His test to see if the port and red wine compliment is drink a little wine and then drink a little port and if it taste good you mouth, you are set.

I don't think wine and port is often used in British Peppercorn Sauce recipes. Not in the classic pub/restaurants anyway. Sounds a bit to posh :P

A lot of people add a splash of brandy though which I forgot to mention.

S7ewie< I dont know about now but he used to work as chef 20 years ago in Portsmouth at a rather famous place.

Oh trust me I began googling it a long time ago :LOL:
There's lots of variations of it and I've tried several but I'm not getting what I want. What I wrote above is basically the closest I've come to what I'm after.

When I search for a recipe on the Internet, I generally choose a site or chef that I already know is good, rather than rely on random results. Tyler Florence owns a steakhouse in California; here's his recipe: Green Peppercorn Sauce Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

And you can make your own brined green peppercorns. Pretty much any ingredient is available on the Internet: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/brined-peppercorns

I think that's a similar thing anyway right? I'll take a look at some recipes for that. I'm specifically after that sauce though.

One of the problems I have is that I know a lot of sauces I made in the pan using the juices from the steaks. I cant do that because I use a cast iron grill pan to cook mine and the second I pour any cream onto it it just burns and sticks.

So I might be better off with a new pan?

I think using a regular cast iron skillet would be the best solution. I have a cast iron grill pan and I don't like using it for two reasons: it's difficult to clean, and a flat pan creates much more browning, which means much more flavor. And of course, you can then make a pan sauce with the fond from the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:
S7ewie< I dont know about now but he used to work as chef 20 years ago in Portsmouth at a rather famous place.

Yeah that sounds like a whole level above what I'm talking about :P
I just meant the classic Steak & Chips, onion rings etc. It sounds like the steak your friend did was a lot fancier than what I was thinking.

I meant no disrespect. I'm sure its delicious. But I don't think the peppercorn sauces I'm used to had wine and port. Still I might give it a go one day :)

When I search for a recipe on the Internet, I generally choose a site or chef that I already know is good, rather than rely on random results. Tyler Florence owns a steakhouse in California; here's his recipe: Green Peppercorn Sauce Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Thanks. The vast majority of things that come up are user submitted recipes, so I just have to base it on the reviews really. I do like that recipe though, and I was looking at a similar one too which suggest to flambe the brandy at the start rather than adding it towards the end (maybe that's where I'm going wrong) so I think I'll try something like that next time.

I think using a regular cast iron skillet would be the best solution. I have a cast iron grill pan and I don't like using it for two reasons: it's difficult to clean, and a flat pan creates much more browning, which means much more flavor. And of course, you can then make a pan sauce with the fond from the bottom of the pan.

Yeah I've had the grill pan for a while now and several time's I've debated switching to a flat cast iron skillet. The grill lines give it a nice look but that's about all it adds. They're a nightmare to clean.

Thanks

You can get reversible ones you know. We have a Lodge that is flat with a rim on 1 side and ridged with a rim on the other. It's rectangular so we have to use the bridge burner.

I like a bit of Brandy in mine...I cheat and put in a bit of bullion..and loads of fresh parsley at the end...allspice and beef goes well together IMHO. Just a pinch....thyme also...

Why not use Better Than Bullion instead? It is such a superior product than bullion.

They do have Colmans Pepper sauce and you can jazz that upp with more pepper.

Do you want the cheap as chip one?

This is closest to my friends recipe, how ever he used a bit more cream and his is thicker then shown on the picture.

The Best Creamy Peppercorn Sauce for Steak | Wholesome Cook

Oh peppercorn sauce has both black and green peppercorn, if you only use green it is green peppercorn sauce and that is another recipe.

That recipe looks promising. I've tried a few recipes, and set out on my own once, and have not been able to make a peppercorn sauce as good as what I have had at some fine dining restaurants.

The one I did by the seat of my pants started with a roux -- about a peanut-butter colored roux. I used beef stock, which I don't think was strong enough. I think it needed pan drippings, which I didn't have. Overall, it didn't suck, but it didn't make me do a happy dance, either.

I think the roux part may work. It is the base of many good sauces. It just needs more cowbell.

CD

Last edited:
Done some experimentation today and came up with quite a nice cheap and cheerful way of doing it. It's in no way the best but it worked for me anyway..

- Chuck about 1tsp of cracked black pepper in a hot pan to release some of the flavour (if you're doing it in the skillet after cooking the steak, whack it straight in there).
- Melt a nice dollop of butter in with it.
- Add 1-2 finely chopped shallots and 1 minced clove of garlic and fry them until golden brown (I tired it without the shallots too but personally I prefer it with).
- Add about 60ml brandy and flambe.
- Add about 1tsp of Dijon mustard and mix it all together.
- Now add 1 "knows" (or any other brand that do them) beef jelly stock pot. This basically skips out the making and reducing the stock stage which is pretty time consuming. They melt pretty well with surprisingly little liquid, just keep it moving so that it doesn't stick and burn.
- Once that's melted add in about 200ml of cream and a table spoon or two of green peppercorns in brine depending on how you like it (I found it best to give them a quick rinse first to clean the bitter brine taste).
- Season with salt and reduce it do your desired consistency.

Its in no way a bomb proof method. Ingredient quantities should be tweaked to personal taste but its a nice quick easy way of doing it when you're short on time. Especially if you're cooking the steaks first and don't want them to go cold whilst you're reducing the stock and cream.

Back
Top Bottom