ISO Home-made Ketchup Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Does anyone have a good tomato ketchup (catsup) recipe. I would like to make my own, using Splenda instead of sugar. Also, if anyone knows how to make the banana ketchup serve so regularly in the Phillippines, that would be appreciated also.Thanks.

Goodweed of the North

I have never heard of banana ketchup. What exactly is that? I love bananas so this sounds like it could be quite interesting.

goodweed do you have my house bugged ???
my son just asked me if i could make ketchup
for him about an hour ago !!!! wow how neat

I ran across a recipe for homemade ketchup yesterday. Even though I've never made it I'll try to find it & post it for you this afternoon. In the mean-time though here is one that a friend of mine made & it is really good. We had it with pork loin but I'm sure there are many other things that it would go well with.

Any-Fruit Ketchup

2lbs stone fruit, pitted & slice(I made it with peaches)
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2C brown sugar
1C cider vinegar
1tsp ground allspice
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp cayenne pepper

Puree the fruit & garlic until smooth. Pour into a heavy saucepan & stir in the 6 remaining ingredients.

Place over high heat & bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium & cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.

Ladle mixture, using a widemouthed funnel, into hot sterilized jars. Release air bubles by running a spatula aroung the inside of the jar. Wipe rims & place lids on jars.

In a boiling water bath, process half-pints for 5 minutes & pints for 10 minutes. Makes 2 pints.

Hi all,

[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Banana Ketchup[/font] Ingredients
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup coarsely chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 1/3 cup cider vinegar
4 large very ripe bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
3 to 4 cups water
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp ground allspice
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp dark rum

Instructions
Combine the raisins, onions , garlic, tomato paste and 1/3 cup vinegar in the container of a food processor., Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large, heavy saucepan.

Add the banana chunks and another 1/3 cup vinegar to the food processor container. Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the banana mixture to the saucepan. Add the remaining 2/3 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.

Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook the ketchup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours. If the ketchup threatens to stick to the bottom of the pan at any point, add some of the remaining water, up to 1 cup.

Add the corn syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves to the ketchup. Cook the ketchup over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes longer, or until it is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Stir in the rum. Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool a few minutes.

Force the ketchup through a fine sieve to strain it, pressing down hard on the solids. Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Store the banana ketchup, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.

Credits

I pulled this out of my low-carb file. Haven't tried it, yet, because Heinz came out with a really good low-carb version. When the local store quits stocking it, I'll be experimenting. This one calls for Equal.
12 oz. tomato paste
12 oz. water
6 oz. vinegar
5 Equal packets
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon salt
Spices are optional for taste

Blend all ingredients and that's it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom