"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question ISO - Labouchere Recipe

Can someone PLEASE tell me what a Labouchere sauce is.
I cannot find a recipe for it anywhere. I have searched online, and in the book store.

Ultimate goal is to make STEAK LABOUCHERE, similar to the same named dish at COPELANDS restaurant. I am assuming this dish is french in origin but historical to New Orleans.

please HELP!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2cookluv2eat View Post
I cannot find a recipe for it anywhere. I have searched online, and in the book store.

Ultimate goal is to make STEAK LABOUCHERE, similar to the same named dish at COPELANDS restaurant. I am assuming this dish is french in origin but historical to New Orleans.

please HELP!!!!!!

This is a proprietary recipe for the restaurant. I doubt there is a recipe online or that the restaurant will give you the recipe, but you could ask.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!!

Thats all I needed to know. I just thought I was crazy looking for the recipe and not finding it.
I can just create my own, from what I gather its alot of cream and butter and garlic.

many thanks again!!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2cookluv2eat View Post

please HELP!!!!!!
Labourchere sauce is literally translated, butcher sauce. It is made with shallots, creole mustard (about 1 tsp), pickle juice or vinegar (about 1 tbsp), beef consumme, and sherry added to a roux starter of flour and butter. Season to taste. Let it thicken, and serve over steak.

You can find the recipe for butcher sauce on other sites to get exact measurements. Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Hi, this is what I found with a google search http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000461131

But it doesn't seem like what you are looking for. What I like to do for a fast pan sauce for steaks.

Cook steaks to desired doneness, remove from pan, cover, allow to rest. In the same pan, add sliced mushrooms and minced shallots {season with S+P} with a pat of butter, saute till mushrooms are browned, add heavy cream, scrape up brown bits, boil to reduce slightly, serve over steaks.

I haven't tried this with the mustard, but it would be nice {grainy mustard} just a tsp. Also a bit of lemon zest would brighten the sauce up too. Although I would suggest one or the other, the two together would compete on the palate.

Good luck! Do let us know what you did and how it turned out.
Remember to play with your food!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I worked at a Copelands for a number of years. Labouchere sauce is indeed a proprietary sauce, the roux needed to make the sauce is mixed into a ball it is a dark roux. This product is made in New Orleans at the Copelands factory and sent out to all locations. Then there is a liquid base that is also made in New Orleans all I know is that there are mushrooms, duck stock, wine along with the trilogy and spices. It is my favorite sauce and I have not been able to duplicate it. This sauce is not the "butchers sauce" that one person found on the internet. Let me know if you crack it!
Chef D

Tags
recipe

ISO - Labouchere Recipe Can someone PLEASE tell me what a Labouchere sauce is. I cannot find a recipe for it anywhere. I have searched online, and in the book store. Ultimate goal is to make STEAK LABOUCHERE, similar to the same named dish at COPELANDS restaurant. I am assuming this dish is french in origin but historical to New Orleans. please HELP!!!!!!:ohmy: 3 stars 1 reviews