"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

I conjured up a mental image of you and my mother cooking together. I don't think she has measured anything in her life! Seriously, I don't think she owns measuring cups any more. She is a great cook, unless she forgets one or more of the ingredients ....

You'd be huddled over your scale .... she'd be pouring salt directly from the box into the pot of sauce ....

Old 03-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Sea salt is difinitely NOT 99.9% NaCl. Sea salt contains many different salts other than Sodium chloride. Unrefined sea salt contain 98.0 % sodium chloride, as well as 2% other salts, such as epsom salts, magnesium salts, calcium salts, potassiumm salts, manganese salts, phosphorus salts, and iodine salts. That is why it is so expensive and why it has such subtle underlying flavors.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

kOSHER SALT IS CALLED THAT ONLY FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON IT'S USED IN KOSHERING PROCESS, NOT FOR QUALITY BUT RATHER FOR THE SIZE OF THE CRYSTALS. tHE TABLE SALT IS THE SAME SALT JUST SMALLER IN SIZE. bACK IN rUSSIA TABLE SALT WAS CALLED TABLE SALT AND KOSHER SALT WAS CALLED SALT. hAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY PRAYERS EITHER. oops, sorry for posting like this.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

Yep, Charlie - if all it took was a prayer to make salt "Kosher" - then all it would take would be another prayer to make pork both Kosher and Halal!

Table salt crystals are small solid "double pyramid" crystals - Kosher salt crystals are hollow single "pyramids". 1 Teaspoon table salt = 1.5 teaspoons Morton's Kosher salt, 2 teaspoons Crystal Diamond (or is it Diamond Crystal?) Kosher salt. Sea salt, depending on how it is harvested, is somewhere between Morton's and Diamond kosher salt.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

To get back to the lasagna sauce, I frankly could not tell the difference between salts tossed into it.

And so I would probably go with the cheap stuff.

Also absolutely agree that one should never add salt to a sauce like that until one tastes it at the very end of cooking.

I usually toss a bit of hot sauce into the mix, enough to keep the hot just under the taste buds for noticable piquante flavor, but sufficient to give it a little interesting zing. And hot sauces add salt, so the final product usually does not need any extra NaCl.

Just my take on things.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I never use table salt when cooking or baking. Just as I never use salted butter.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
First of all, "hot sauce" does not belong in any type of Italian cooking. It is a concoction of pickled peppers and will add a particularly Unitalian flavor to your sauce and to whatever you use the sauce in or on. If you want to add some heat to Italian food, you use crushed red pepper flakes. That's why Italian restaurants put the shaker on the table.

Second, whoever came up with the idea that you need to use unsalted butter to control the salt in your food should be taken out behind the building and have their butt kicked thoroughly and severely. The actual contents of salt in salted butter is approximately 1/8 teaspoon per 1/4 pound. That is 1/2 teaspon PER POUND! I challange anyone who is not a professional food taster to detect that amount of salt in their finished product, unless of course you are using an Ina Garten recipe and have put 3 or 4 pounds of butter into an 8 inch single layer cake or something. But then, her recipes always have a couple of cups of salt in them too, so I don't think an extra 1/2 teaspoon per pound of butter is even going to be noticable.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I don't add any extra salt to tomato sauces as there is already SO much in the canned tomatoes. Taste at the end and see what is needed.
You might like to get some kosher salt and/or sea salt (they aren't really exactly the same). They just taste better/less chemical than Morton's salt. But once incorporated in the liquid of a recipe, they are "salt". Kosher salt has a different structure so does require a different measurement, as others have pointed out.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherin65
I'm making lasagna on the weekend for DH's bday. I'm making the sauce today and I'm trippling the batch because I'm making two pans of lasagna and we always like extra sauce.

#1. The recipe called for a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. I picked up three cans without realizing that one of the cans was tomato sauce not crushed tomatoes. I added it to the pan already, kind of noticing while pouring it in that there weren't any tomato chunks. Will it be ok?

#2. I also realized the recipe calls for Kosher salt and I have regular iodized salt and I have sea salt. Can I substitute the same amount or should I go out and buy the kosher salt?

Sher

It'll be just fine!

I usually use tomato sauce in sauces for spaghetti and lasagna.

As for Kosher salt, I think you'll need to go get some. I think it's less salty tasting than regular salt. You could end up with an unbearably salty sauce.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
lasagna.

As for Kosher salt, I think you'll need to go get some. I think it's less salty tasting than regular salt. You could end up with an unbearably salty sauce.

Kosher salt in and of itself isn't less salty tasting. As discussed before, it has a larger crystal size. If you measure out a teaspoon of kosher salt and dissolve it in a cup of water and do the same with table salt, the kosher-salted water would be less salty-tasting. But that's not because the kosher salt itself is less salty, it's because less salt fit into the teaspoon and thus less salt is in the water.

Tags
None