"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Oooh, nuts would make a nice addition, mudbug! Do you have any almonds? Some toasted almonds would go well, too, although your pecans would work just fine. You'll have to let us know what you finally end up with!

Old 11-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Head Chef

That's funny that Yakuta had the same basic idea! I can't "see" my posts right after I post them anymore, so I didn't know she had a similar post until now!

Sure like the idea of cilantro!

Old 11-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I like a teeny bit of cilantro, but not a lot. I do have quite a bit of flat leaf fresh parsley, but I don't think it would add the same flavor. (Using that all up is a whole nother deal for another day!)
Old 11-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

Understand there... I've always preferred flat-leaf to curly. Just a larger, better flavor, IMO.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
Head Chef

Mudbug, my version of chicken satay was based on the ingredients you had. Normally satay sauce uses a lot of ingredients but I am assuming since you have a bottled version it should have some of it added.

Also my two cents on fried rice. It's pretty simple if you have some leftover rice. You can make your own creative version with ingredients you like. The entire point is to make it flavorful and aunthenticity is not that important when you are cooking with whatever you have available in your freezer.

I have made fried rice with frozen veggies and eggs along with meat of my choice. I normally add some chopped herbs, scallions and sauces to mine to make it even more flavorful than the plain version. It's a whole meal in itself.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, totally agree on the whole meal concept, Yakuta. Daughter fortunately is coming around to that point of view as well, so gives me an excuse to shove some more "good stuff" down her throat. No leftover rice around tonight, just uncooked.

So here's what I've done:

Cut chicken into chunks (contained bones and my knife is dull, so chunks were easier).

Made marinade consisting of 1 cup apricot preserves, 1/2 cup each OJ and the peanut satay, 3 packets of takeout soy sauce, fat garlic clove minced, shake of regular S&P, and shake of red pepper flakes.

In an hour, I am going to remove chicken from marinade and coat with cornstarch before stir frying in oil. Boil the marinade down to thicken, and add some crushed honey roasted peanuts right at the end.

Serve the whole thing over hot white rice and a green salad alongside. Maybe grate up some extra carrot for the salad. Inform you all tomorrow how it tasted.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #17
Head Chef

Sounds really good, mudbug -- looking forward to the full report!!

Yakuta, for the record, I'm going to pale in your obvious greatness when it comes to authentic recipes and methods for satay...!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #18
Master Chef

Hey Mudbug..........I know I was brain dead earlier but I was thumbing through some of my cookbooks tonight and saw a recipe that you may be able to use in the future:

Peanut Sate' Sauce

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar or white vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion

*For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, toasted sesame oil, and crushed red pepper. Stir in the green onion.

*Brush the sauce onto meat kabobs the last 5 minutes of grilling. Heat and stir any remaining sauce just till bubbly; serve with the kabobs. Makes about 1/2 cup sauce, enough for 1 to 2 pounds of meat.

I'm def. going to have to try this one out with chicken sometime.

I found the recipe in The Better Homes & Gardens 1996 Annual Cookbook
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, we ate every last bit of it, except for a few small pieces of chicken. I have to say it turned out just fine - not too sweet, not too hot. Had to add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the sauce because it was still fairly thin when the rice was almost done. I think green onions would have been a nice addition.

Sizz, thanks for the additional satay recipe. It's been said before, but I will say it again - you guys are the greatest!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 AM   #20
Master Chef

That sounds like a great creation, mud! I'm making a mental note to try it sometime!

Tags
None