"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
Cook

Teriyaki Sauce

Does anyone have a terriyaki sauce recipe that I can use for brushing onto chicken / salmon before grilling? I am looking for one I can make from scratch rather than a store bought bottle variety.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Head Chef

Take a couple of cups of soy sauce, add 1 cup of sugar (and a bit of molasses if you want to, it gives some flavor but can be omitted). Add about a shot (1 oz. or so) of dry sherry. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Then add some grated ginger and garlic (about a tablespoon of each).

My quantities are approximate, rarely measure.

Usually am my lazy self and just use the store bought.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Soy sauce, sugar, garlic, minced ginger, a touch of worcestershire (not traditional but still good). This is my default marinade for fish, chicken, pork. I don't think I make mine as sweet as Aunt Dot's, but it can be done to your taste. I also use dark soy sauce available at my Asian market.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Head Chef

Here is a link to the one I use:
TERRIYAKISAUCE
Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Equal parts soy and light brown sugar, and the following to taste: garlic powder, fresh grated ginger ( i dont like the powder for terriyaki), black pepper.

This is the marinade my father and I have both been using since I can remember, and it also a great base to add other flavors too. For example its very easy to add orange zest and a bit of fresh squeezed OJ to add orange flavors.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Cook

Thanks every one for the replies - I have not been online for a little while and apologise for not thanking you all earlier. It seems there are a few variations to teryaki sauce! I had a recipe from a magazine that I used over and over - but unfortunately seem to have lost it! It was similar to the recipes you have posted - brushed over thinly sliced chicken, sprinked with sesame seeds and grilled it was delicious. When I was in NYC recently, I had a cuban dish which was grilled salmon with a bbq sauce - with rice and black beans. Delicious! It did remind me of the teryaki sauce recipe I thought I had!

I will try the recipes suggested and let you know of the results! Thanks again!

Tags
None