"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Master Chef

Gee the foreigners lighten up. (Now I am a foreigner too, so I can say that). Let’s start from beginning, if you use canned tomatoes they are plenty watery, at least here in USA they are. We do not know what kind or quality your tomatoes. If they are too watery to begin then cook slowly and do not over cook, if they are still too watery add the tomato paste, like it's been said already and it will thicken it up. If you start with something that is too thick to begin with then add water. But add a little bit at the time until you get to the right consistency not too watery.

Now who was talking about sugar and Italian relatives? If I lived in Italy I may be wouldn't have been using the sugar either. Different variety of tomatoes. Back in Ukraine we had tomatoes that were practically sweet. Here I try to grow tomatoes and no matter what I do they are very acidic. Sugar helps to break the acidity. So I am all for sugar. But then I am not Italian. And neither is she.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDream View Post
Fighting with an Admin might not be the best,but here's my point:
I said it get THICK.THEN liquid,when I add sauce.NOW my question is:How do I keep it from getting thick?And if it's liquid already,how do I make it LESS liquid?
Not trying to be rude,but I speak if I want to,and I tell what's on my mind.

Grandpa :3.
You can speak your mind without being rude. Everyone else here is able to do that and so are you.

In any event, Jenny already answered that part of your question as well (as did others).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Any liquid will thicken via evaporation by simmering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
. First, if you cook it uncovered, some of the liquid will evaporate, making a thicker sauce.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Master Chef

P.S. I know you think that your English is good enough to understand. But I just read your last post and did not understand any of it. I go thru the same thing, sometimes I post something and people do not understand me. So you have two choices explain your self again, make it clear what you are talking about, make sure that in fact people understood what you are talking about and then get frustrated if they do not give you the answer you want to hear. Now after you get frustrated you also have two choices, get the heck out of here or ask again politely. Now being a grandpa, I have hearing problem, where did you say you were from.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Well GB,no point in arguing.Like I said I let water evaporate and it gets thick,then I put water and it gets too liquid.
Let's just drop it.In my opinion I wasn't being rude after all.

Thanks,Grandpa.(Did you look at your CP?)
I'm actually adding those tomato paste,I just forgot to mention it.It's only the problem when the sauce is done and I need more of it.Because the way I do it I don't get too much sauce.(I make it with heat 2 or 3,which isn't that much)
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Thanks, LC
Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #26
Master Chef

Sorry mist my CP.

Let's step back and try to make that sauce right. This is how I do it. I start with sauteing some onion then add canned tomatoes and start cooking. If it is too liquidy then add paste. But not a lot. And cook a little more, you do not have to cook the sauce for a long time.

More latter. Have to go pretend that I am working.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Head Chef

Sometimes, when using canned tomatoes, Ill drain them first ( save the liquid). There usually is enough liquid inside the canned tomatoes, so when u cut them up or mash them, they will provide a decent amount of liquid. If it is too thick, or boils down too much, u can always add the tomato liquid that you saved in the beginning, this way, you can make it less thick, with out watering down the flavor.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I am very much impressed with the members here continuing to offer help to a person who has been blantanlty rude and disrespectful to genuine people that are only trying to help and be of assistence.
And I am very much appalled that someone would come here and make such snide comments to a community they have only just joined...not a very good way to make a good first impression.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

deelady, I apologize to you especially, as maybe it was my fault making the noodle/pasta distinction. In my italian family that is
a standing joke/no-no to call one the other. I do love both, however, in their proper place. Goulash is definately noodles, but would not call manicotti-noodles. And would NEVER put italian, bolannaise sauce on noodles. I'd have to go in "witness protection!".
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #30
Master Chef

Neah, she just a kid, very pationate and english is not her strongest side. (neither it is mine). So she says what she thinks with out thinking or even knowing the real meaning of the words she uses. let's give her a brake for this time.

As far as pasta and noodles, I spent in Italy only 6 month, so I did not have enough time to catch the difference.

Tags
None