"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #31
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
I have a thirty year old cast iron fry pan. It is simply the only fry pan I use for everything except poached eggs. Non stick pans were designed for amateurs. Well seasoned cast pans will be left in your will for the next generation. Even heat and non stick. I am sold on cast I have a cast iron wok that retains heat the best. Cast is also cheaper when purchasing.
__________________

__________________
The Barry Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Smile

I use a really heavy top quality skillet. I do not like the non stick ones. I have wolfgang puck cookware-love it.
__________________

__________________
Mrs. Goodcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Does anyone have a good non-stick skillet that they would recommend? I've been using a Denmark skillet that I purchased at Bed Bath. & Beyond, but it seems to wear quickly and chip around the edges.
I have used Swiss Diamond non stick for years. They have not peeled or lost any of the non-stick properties. The heat distribution is every bit as good as a cast iron.

More recently I've tried the new ceramic coated pans from Bialetti Aeternum. I only have the small one which I used exclusively for eggs. I didn't get the larger fry pans because I almost always use the panfry/oven method and the pans in Bed and Bath don't have it. However, I found online the newest Bialetti that have an oven-proof handle and am considering getting one to try out.
__________________
amali720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by amali720

I have used Swiss Diamond non stick for years. They have not peeled or lost any of the non-stick properties. The heat distribution is every bit as good as a cast iron.

More recently I've tried the new ceramic coated pans from Bialetti Aeternum. I only have the small one which I used exclusively for eggs. I didn't get the larger fry pans because I almost always use the panfry/oven method and the pans in Bed and Bath don't have it. However, I found online the newest Bialetti that have an oven-proof handle and am considering getting one to try out.
I tried the Denmark Ceramic pans from Bed Bath and they don't wear well. Mine is chipping around the edges, and I've only had it for a few months!
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 9
I never was much for non-stick cookware until I tried the T-Fal professional pans. I love them. They were reviewed in Cooks Illustrated and got a very good review. I tried some of the more expensive non-stick skillets in the past and think the T-Fal professional leaves them all in the dust.
T-fal E9380864 Professional Total Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator 12.5-Inch Fry Pan / Saute Pan Dishwasher Safe Cookware,Black: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
kansasteddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasteddybear
I never was much for non-stick cookware until I tried the T-Fal professional pans. I love them. They were reviewed in Cooks Illustrated and got a very good review. I tried some of the more expensive non-stick skillets in the past and think the T-Fal professional leaves them all in the dust.
T-fal E9380864 Professional Total Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator 12.5-Inch Fry Pan / Saute Pan Dishwasher Safe Cookware,Black: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Do you know whether these have been tested for toxicity? I've heard that most nonstick cookware is toxic unless it's ceramic.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Do you know whether these have been tested for toxicity? I've heard that most nonstick cookware is toxic unless it's ceramic.
I honestly don't know. You could contact the company and see what they use for the nonstick surface.
kansasteddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
Assistant Cook
 
yogiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 47
Nearly all nonstick coating - all coatings from quality companies - have removed the dangerous chemicals. Teflon which provides coatings for the vast majority of nonstick cookkware changed their formulation for coatings in 2008 or 2009. Nonstick products before that were potential problems if heated above 400 to 450 degrees. The new coatings are safe.

But as someone has said previously the ceramic and diamond coatings do not have the potential chemicals and distribute heat better than most alternatives.
And as many have said, if you do not mind the weight and conditioning issues cast iron works well (I still prefer to do eggs in my Diamond's Plus Woll fry pan).
__________________
yogiwan
yogiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #39
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiwan
Nearly all nonstick coating - all coatings from quality companies - have removed the dangerous chemicals. Teflon which provides coatings for the vast majority of nonstick cookkware changed their formulation for coatings in 2008 or 2009. Nonstick products before that were potential problems if heated above 400 to 450 degrees. The new coatings are safe.

But as someone has said previously the ceramic and diamond coatings do not have the potential chemicals and distribute heat better than most alternatives.
And as many have said, if you do not mind the weight and conditioning issues cast iron works well (I still prefer to do eggs in my Diamond's Plus Woll fry pan).
Is the Diamond Plus pan easy to clean?
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Non-stick pans are designed for the easy removal of food particles. Let's not confuse non-stick with NO-STICK. The seasoning or finish is designed to prevent food from adhering to the surface in such a way that it is difficult to remove during cleanup. Personally, I have seasoned a number of CI pans. It doesn't require years and it certainly is not a difficult process. I love my CI pans for some things, for others I like SS. And, I have a mineral-type pan as well--it is nice, but I usually use my CI or SS pans. I do not use aluminum pans and really don't like Teflon pans--those I find do often end up with food sticking to them and because of the finish, one can't scour them. Hands down, for making eggs or bacon, it is CI every time. I love it that sunny-side up eggs slide out of my CI pan without needing a spatula.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.