Originally Posted by aburas
Why do they even make Glad Ovenware...Why wouldn't someone just use a regular baking pan?
When I make casserole type things like enchiladas, lasagna, stuffed shells or moussaka, etc. I always make a triple batch - one for me and my step-mom to share and one for both of my sons. Using glass or metal baking dishes causes logistical problems - getting them back before I can make something else, and storage space. I got some disposable aluminum catering pans from the restaurant supply once - and the acid in the sauces ate little tiny holes all over the pans overnight, even the condensation that formed on the top which was not in direct contact with the food had holes! So - I tried the Glad stuff and there was no problem - and I could afford to have 3-4 sets on hand in case the boys didn't remember to bring back the pan from the previous batch when they came over to get a new batch of something.
As far as melting when used in the oven - we've never had a problem ... but we follow the directions. And, the boys generally reheat them in the microwave.
If you take something to a "pot luck" dinner - you don't have to worry if the pan doesn't make it home, and you don't have to worry about breakage.
Originally Posted by GrillingFool
theoretically, there are probably chemicals leeching from the oven interior into the atmosphere of the microwave, mixing with that steam and covering all the surfaces.... including your food.
Interesting theory ... but I don't know of any scientific foundation to support it - that's not how a microwave oven works. The microwaves are very short (about 12.24 cm) electromagnetic (radio) waves that are at a frequency (about 2,450 MHz = 2,450,000,000 cycles per second) that is the frequency that causes water molecules to "vibrate" - or probably more accurately to "spin" since water is polar and the RF is an alternating field - the polar water tries to realign magnetically with the electromagnetic wave - and at 2,450,000,000 times per second that causes friction, and friction causes heat - and the heat generated from the friction is what cooks the food.
Now, if the frequency of the wave only affects polar water - what would be leaching from the interior of the microwave oven since nothing else within the oven is at a resonate frequency? Your body is bombarded by electromagnetic waves 24/7 - television, radio, computer, wireless phone, cell phone, electric wires coming into your house, etc. all generate electromagnetic "radio" waves. You're actually more likely to suffer brain damage from talking on your cell phone than heating something in a microwave oven.