Help Re-Do My Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your ceiling lighting idea is a great one, especially if the fixtures will be hidden by the boxed-in beam.

I was referring to the backsplash area when I mentioned mirroring that space. That is a great place to add interest and color in a kitchen.

Before painting anything, I suggest you begin with your lighting changes/additions. You'll be surprised at how different the whole room will look.

Also, don't be put off when it comes to painting your cabinets. Technology in the paint industry has changed dramatically in recent years.

I like your suggestion about taking down the curtains, Katie. The only curtains I have in my house are sheer lace panels in the upstairs bedrooms.

We accented our kitchen backsplash with Italian glass mosaic tiles that have metallic streaks in them that reflect the light nicely.

Here's the tile...I got it on eBay for about half the usual price.

Attachments

• a879.jpg
    a879.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 210
Thanks, Katie. You have an obvious talent in some of the areas where I'm weak. About paints, are there particular types that you can recommend in terms of adhesion, durability and smooth-drying (minimizing brush strokes).

One problem I may have is that in Costa Rica, high-quality US made paints aren't widely available. Most are locally manufactured and of inferior quality. I do have limited availablity of Ace Hardware brand paints, Minwax wood finishes, and some Sherwin-Williams paints. As far as I know, no other US paints are sold here.

Thanks, Katie. You have an obvious talent in some of the areas where I'm weak. About paints, are there particular types that you can recommend in terms of adhesion, durability and smooth-drying (minimizing brush strokes).

One problem I may have is that in Costa Rica, high-quality US made paints aren't widely available. Most are locally manufactured and of inferior quality. I do have limited availablity of Ace Hardware brand paints, Minwax wood finishes, and some Sherwin-Williams paints. As far as I know, no other US paints are sold here.

Your best resource when it comes to choosing the correct paints will be the manager of the paint department in the store. Ace is a good place to get help. Minwax makes fine wood finishes and those are the ones Buck and I use in our restoration shop.

When it comes to paints and finishes adhering to your cabinets, the surfaces have to be correctly prepared before the paints or finishes are applied. They must be absolutely clean and "roughed up" a bit. By roughed up, I mean they should be lightly sanded so the paint or finish can grab onto the surface.

As for brush strokes, you need to utilize the best brush for the job. Not any old brush will do when it comes to applying finishes. And do not be tempted to use a foam brush. They can create bubbles as you apply your paint/finish. Again, enlist the help of the manager of the store to advise you on the appropriate brush.

Another thing you might consider is taking your cabinet doors and drawer fronts to an auto-body shop and have them "shoot" the color onto them and then paint the frames and bases of the cabinets yourself.

Back
Top Bottom