How do you clean your cutting boards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several wood boards. One has a moat around it on one side which I use to cut meats so any blood/juices will accumulate there instead of running onto my counter. If I need to cut vegetables for same meal, I use the other side after I drain any accumulation from meats. When done, I wash both sides with soap and hot water after I spray with clorox.

GG, sometimes I super-clean a wooden board not because I'm worried about germs, but because I'm trying to get rid of a long-lingering smell of onion or garlic. :sick: Not the flavor additive I want for fruits. :LOL:

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your answers!

I have that chopping block which makes it a little difficult to throw in the sink. LOL
I've been cleaning it off with dish soap followed by hot water and then a spray of Windex, but I was never sure if I was over cleaning or under cleaning it. It is terribly stained, though, and I need to do something about that one of these days.
Ack, Windex? Nope, nope, I wouldn't do that. When I want to get stains or lingering smells out of a wooden cutting board, I scrub it with a half lemon and salt. Clean, fresh smelling...and a wee bit drying to the wood, maybe. Once it's thoroughly dry, I'll give it a nice massage and rub-out with mineral oil.

GG, sometimes I super-clean a wooden board not because I'm worried about germs, but because I'm trying to get rid of a long-lingering smell of onion or garlic. :sick: Not the flavor additive I want for fruits. [emoji38]

I hear you, CG! That's why I use my all-purpose spray, on my wooden boards and the countertop. It leaves a fresh lemony aroma.

Bleach and rinse the plastic ones. Very dilute bleach for the wood. Wooden boards naturally have antibiotic properties.

I believe butchers regularly "scrape" their blocks and I also believe they use(d) their knives to do so. Have actually watched a butcher, from whom I often bought (back in the 60's) do this. I think this is also why when you see a real antique block it has a big slope in one direction, the common place the butcher stands. He would do this every night when finishing up, sometimes in between, depending on how busy he was. This was not only to 'clean' but to smooth the wood from cuts, which in itself was a cleansing action.

I use soap and water and don't worry about it. LOL, don't know if I would use Windex though! although I admit I've never looked at the ingredient list on the label. I have many wood boards and don't differentiate between boards or foods, just make sure I clean.

I'm with both of the above. I have 2 bamboo, one large wood Boos Block, and a couple of plastic ones. I use plastic when cutting raw meats, wood for just about everything else. The Boos Block has a flat side and a side with a juice groove. It's new and it got it's baptism on Christmas carving 2 prime rib roasts. I wash them all in the sink in hot soapy water. Have never bleached or done anything special with any of them - never seems to be a problem.

I use those thin nylon cutting mats..they rinse off easily in the sink and don't take any room in the dishwasher..this way, I just wipe my cutting board(s) with a wet cloth like I do to my counters...

I used to get thin nylon mats at the Dollar$tore, 2 for a dollar, then they went up to 1 for a dollar, then $1.50 and now they don't carry them any more. I loved them but they would eventually get cut up.

As I have unforgiving tiled countertops I would use these mats on top of the wood boards. They were light and flexible and I could pick up the mat and carry the food over to dump in the pot or pan. Miss them!

I used to get thin nylon mats at the Dollar$tore, 2 for a dollar, then they went up to 1 for a dollar, then $1.50 and now they don't carry them any more. I loved them but they would eventually get cut up.

As I have unforgiving tiled countertops I would use these mats on top of the wood boards. They were light and flexible and I could pick up the mat and carry the food over to dump in the pot or pan. Miss them!

yeah..I never thought of using them until GF's son bought me a 4 pack one xmas..I found myself reaching for them more and more..sometimes I will use two per meal..it is the ease of clean up that I like..very manageable..I've gone through a few packs over the years as they do wear out, but they are very handy, fer sherr

Last edited:

Amazon has them 3 for $5.47 or another brand 4 for $12.97. Still pretty cheap.

yep, thanks RP.

They will have to wait til I have enough to add to an order for free shipping. I don't buy enough to justify 'prime' and the shipping is double the value of the item :LOL:

So, as much as I like them... I'll wait. Thanks again, I figured from the dollar store to Amazon would be not economical, so never looked. Only they are a pretty good price considering.

I use Chlorexodine Gluconate, for both my wooden boards and all my other chopping boards. I use a clean cloth to apply them, wait a few minutes, and then rinse them, and dry them.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I have to use my cutting board exclusively for cutting everything and I was always concerned about cleaning it after cutting hamburger on it. I get the ten pound roll of hamburger and cut it into eighths.

Although I have been toying with the idea of getting a cutting board so I can cut veggies on the counter. Thing is, my counter usually has something on it. I think I will swap out the Windex for lemon and salt, though. What about the lemon juice that comes from the store in a bottle? Will that work? Real lemons here are way too expensive to just keep on hand for cleaning.

Last edited:
I think I will swap out the Windex for lemon and salt, though. What about the lemon juice that comes from the store in a bottle? Will that work? Real lemons here are way too expensive to just keep on hand for cleaning.

Sure, that's what I use. It has the same chemical properties. I'm not about to squeeze a half cup of lemon juice for my squirt bottle of cleaning fluid ;)

I use plastic boards. Put a black dot on one side. Meat on dot side, veggies on the other. Clean with hot water and soap. Since they do not cost much, I replace them when they cut up.

Well, since I never run my boards through the dishwasher, and it's been years since I had anything identifiable as food poisoning (and that was traceable to purchased food, not home made), my conclusion would be that some of the steps some members use are excessive and unnecessary. Since soap is antiseptic in nature, washing them in hot soapy water is all I do, and it seems to get the job done.

I generally do meats on a plastic board and wash it immediately when I done with it. Then it's ready for the next item, or to be put away and pull out a wooden one for veggies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom