"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

One more further note. You can buy measuring cups with the ml. or c. markings on them. I have a set of six and on the 1/4 c. it is also marked 60 ml.
Amazon.com: RSVP 6-Piece Stainless Steel Nesting Measuring Cup Set: Kitchen & Dining

These are heavy duty steal 18/8, sit evenly nested and I love them. I also have a set of measuring spoons that are magnetic, sit flat on a surface and they too have the mL markings. 1/4 tsp. 1.25 mL.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
... America has had more sense than to go metric so their cups still measure in ounces ...
Allow me to disagree here. America has no sense at all when it comes to measuring system. The whole wide world is using metric. If America were using metric it would be so much easier. And I am absolutely positive there would be even economic benefits for the whole country as far as trade go. I for sure see it in our company, we are having really hard time with manufacturing stuff for Europe, because they do not want American Standard, they want metric stuff.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Allow me to disagree here. America has no sense at all when it comes to measuring system. The whole wide world is using metric. If America were using metric it would be so much easier. And I am absolutely positive there would be even economic benefits for the whole country as far as trade go. I for sure see it in our company, we are having really hard time with manufacturing stuff for Europe, because they do not want American Standard, they want metric stuff.

+1 It should have been done decades ago.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
Wine Guy

I agree, Charlie. I'm American, born and bred, but I actually prefer metric, too. Weighing dry ingredients and moving decimal points around has become second nature. It's not difficult and, once you get used to it, is much more intuitive than trying to remember how many teaspoons are in a quarter cup or how many pints make up a gallon. In the metric world, water freezes at 0 degrees and boils at 100. How hard is that? As an added bonus, once you take the plunge, you open yourself up to a whole new world of international recipes.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One more who lives on Western side of the pond who prefers metric. Canada converted quite a while ago, but most of our recipes are still in US or Imperial measures, usually US, even though Canada used to use Imperial measures.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

I avoid fractions whenever possible. It's an irrational fear developed in elementary school math class. With metric, you don't have to worry about least common denominators, converting improper fractions, etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Charlie when my kids were in school, they taught the kids in metric and decimal system. They had no problem learning a new system. It was the adults. We simply refused to learn a new system. There were some things that changed and stayed that way. Large bottles of soda, and gasoline. And the temps that are shown on banks and other buildings are shown in C. and F. We still use the F. system. When Japan first started to send imports of cars, they didn't like the idea of the wheel being on the right side. So they built factories in this country using our measuring system. It was much cheaper than teaching their workers and changing their whole factories. I guess we are just a stubborn lot and will not give in.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #38
Master Chef

I understand the fear of learnng something new. In reality there is nothing new to learn. If you know how to count to 10 you already know metric system. It is that simple.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #39
Head Chef

I find anything to do with numbers disconcerting. Conversion is fine if it works out neatly, but it mostly doesn't! I went to a recipe site recently that has a "converter" from cups to grams - but my scales don't measure down to decimal points.

This is really only a problem for baking, where the measurements need to be pretty specific. For anything else, I tend to just "wing it".

I am actually considering getting a measuring "cup" so I can use American baking recipes.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #40
Master Chef

Grams to Ounces conversion