"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Honey Badger

Marbeled Counter Tops?

For those that have them.

Does it matter what kind you have installed when it comes to bread making?

Right now I have tiled counters.Use a bread board for kneading the dough.
Less messy.

Can you place hot bread pans or cookie sheets on them?
As it is now I used either the stove top or place a lot of potholders on the counters.

Clueless on this subject.

Munky.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If I have to put a hot pan on the counter, I use one of my wood cutting boards under it. I knead bread right on the countertop... just cheap Formica. We had solid surface countertops (like Dupont Corian) in our last 2 homes, so I used the same processes with them.

I've never had stone counters, so I really can't say anything about that. I've read that that some can be porous and can absorb stains.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

Marble is durable, but don't put hot pans on it. Use a trivet or towel. The benefit of REAL marble is that it stays cool for working doughs. The thicker the marble, the cooler it stays.

If you bake a lot, you will like stone, especially marble. It keeps your dough cool, and your fats firm -- naturally.

CD
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a quartz countertop. It can take the hottest pans. It's cold to the touch. I make pie crusts and bagels on it. Its the hardest material after diamonds so its pretty tough. Check out this site. https://commercial.cambriausa.com/design-palette/
Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have a quartz countertop. It can take the hottest pans. It's cold to the touch. I make pie crusts and bagels on it. Its the hardest material after diamonds so its pretty tough. Check out this site. https://commercial.cambriausa.com/design-palette/
Quartz is one of the hardest countertops, but quite a bit softer than diamonds, and many other gemstones. The quartz advantage is hardness for the price, as I understand it. A diamond or sapphire countertop would be just a little over the top, I would think.

CD
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

My only experience has been with Formica, Munky, but I found a chart that might be a bit helpful to you.

Countertop Comparisons

Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table. ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
Head Chef

Not sure what you mean by marbled counter tops. Real marble is not the best choice for a kitchen, as it can stain and scratch. Daughter had it in their townhouse and realized their mistake afterwards.

Granite is natural stone, quartz for countertops is an engineered material. They have their pros and cons. We have granite, and I don't have any concerns about putting a cookie sheet directly on the granite. I wouldn't put a hot pot on it, as it will cause localized heating and expansion, which can damage the granite. I have silicone trivets, which can be tossed (literally) on the counter and are dishwasher safe.

Never had quartz, but from what I've read, it can take heat - to a point. It can scorch if the pot is big and hot enough.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Not sure what you mean by marbled counter tops. Real marble is not the best choice for a kitchen, as it can stain and scratch. Daughter had it in their townhouse and realized their mistake afterwards.

Granite is natural stone, quartz for countertops is an engineered material. They have their pros and cons. We have granite, and I don't have any concerns about putting a cookie sheet directly on the granite. I wouldn't put a hot pot on it, as it will cause localized heating and expansion, which can damage the granite. I have silicone trivets, which can be tossed (literally) on the counter and are dishwasher safe.

Never had quartz, but from what I've read, it can take heat - to a point. It can scorch if the pot is big and hot enough.
+1. I have granite countertops and treat them the same way - my big wood cutting board lives on the peninsula counter, or I put pot holders on the other counter, to put hot pots on.

I knead and roll dough on a half sheet pan, though, because I hate cleaning the sticky mess off the counter.

You might be interested in this article about one person's experience with marble countertops. She decided to live with the limitations - adds character https://www.thekitchn.com/living-wit...r-later-203189
Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Wine Guy

I've also been researching counter top material. For durability and ease of use, marble probably wouldn't be my first choice. I think I would prefer engineered quartz, followed by granite. They're expensive, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Two houses ago, we had laminate. It looked great and I was really surprised at how well it held up. I wouldn't put hot pots and pans on it, but it was the easiest thing in the world to clean up, and never stained. I also kneaded bread dough on it, and it provided a nice surface for that.

The house I live in now desperately needs new counter tops. I'm planning to rent this house out in the next couple years, so I don't think I could justify putting in anything too high end. I'm actually leaning toward getting some nice laminate installed, based on my satisfaction with it in the past.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Munky I have ceramic floor tiles. They are 4" porcelain tiles and they are my counter top and backsplash. The new grouting they have now-a-days is super hard. I spritz them with a Lysol disinfectant spray when I think it is time for eg. after meat. Sp although meat is almost always on a cutting board it is not unheard of for me to slap it right onto the counter.

I do bread on a rather large, thick board on my kitchen table. I don't like using my counters for kneading as I find them too high.

They will not scorch, in 18 years I have not broken one of the tiles nor broken a plate on it (on the floor I did break a plate and a wine glass (which actually bounced once before shattering the 2nd time it hit - but never the tile).