"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Old 01-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The OP is in NH, so he's not at sea level - there are quite a range of possible elevations he could live at there...
You are correct.

AND as long as the OP knows his elevation, he can determine the temperature at which water boils and test his thermometer to see if it registers that temperature in boiling water.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You are correct.

AND as long as the OP knows his elevation, he can determine the temperature at which water boils and test his thermometer to see if it registers that temperature in boiling water.
Better heads than mine would disagree, but I'm not going to argue about it.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #13
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
Hi. I'm not sure the best category but I'm thinking this would be the one. I seem to always fight the problem of varying temperatures in my meats. Chicken, Steak, Fish being the main meats. I have a $100.00 thermometer and I will sometimes check it multiple times from the top and side, even turning it around. Sometimes I find it seems like it's done but then after I take it off and cut it, it's not. other times, while still in the pan, I find it is done in some areas, but not done in other areas. When this happens, of course I end up running into the meat being overdone. I think I have decent pans, some better then others. Maybe I should start baking more. I do a lot of frying and my gas stove does tend to give off high heat. I know I'm all over the place with this. Meat is tough to get a hang of. Most of the time I just wing it and I'd say most of the time things turn out good. I've tried the feel test for the steak but I'm not always good at it or don't trust myself. Fish is the hardest at times as I over cook it even though I try real hard not too. I wish I could at least rely on the thermometer but I'm feeling like it's more stressful using it then not. Especially with the problems I talked about at the beginning. I don't think it's a case of the thermometer not working, it's just that the food is getting cooked more in certain sections of the meat, making it hard for me to decide when to take it off. I wish it was more even cooking. any input? thanks so much!
Cook it one piece at a time until you get the hang of it, and then never more than two pieces (three very small ones in a pinch) in the pan at a time and all product in center of pan away from sides. Do not cook around the sides of the pan or array product in a circle around the sides of the pan attempting to avoid the middle of the pan. The middle is where you want to get the work done.

If parts of the food are overdone and parts underdone the product is likely being steamed instead of pan broiled.

To assure this doesn't happen, for now use the biggest pan you own and again put product in the middle of the pan one or two at a time, max.

CStanford is offline   Reply With Quote

meat, temperature