Question about countertops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would be beautiful. The maple would compliment the golden tones in the tile and add a "warm" quality to the kitchen and the sink would pick up the "whites" in the tile. I think this would be a winner.

The butcher block would also be a less "loud" surface in your kitchen. Tile and granite/marble are very hard surfaces and don't do much to dampen sounds.

Then I guess this idea is a saver!

I sure didn't look forward to having to buy slab marble, shipping it, having it fabricated, and having it installed! Too rich for my blood.

And this idea is much more affordable!

I am going to re-use all of the old cabinets [they were top of the line in their day], so I won't need any more.

But I am going to replace the hollow core doors with paneled ones, so I will be looking for them. And I need flooring for the kitchen, breakfast area, living room, and hallway. I am thinking about using wood.

Not sure if prices would be better or worse, but you can get reclaimed wood too :-D

Bamboo flooring is becoming popular - its cheap, eco-friendly, and abundant. Not sure about durability. There is also a new type of tile flooring available that is inexpensive and durable and also eco friendly - my school is looking at this kind of flooring for remodeling the campus... I can't remember the name but I will PM you with it when I get it. My university is a commuter campus (no dorms - yet) with 13,000+ students so if it is durable enough for them I'm sure it would hold up in a kitchen!

Ok just remembered, I have the powerpoint on my computer with all of the names of the possible flooring possibilities my school is looking at (I am in a group that is going to be presenting some new ideas to the committe behind the renovation).

-Cork wood flooring
-Bamboo
-EnviroTRAZ flooring - this is actually really cool, you can come up with your own colorful designs on the flooring. Google envirotraz and click "images", I can email you some other images if you like.

Just some ideas for ya... I personally like wood flooring myself but don't know much about the durability depending on the wood but I do believe that the above types are very durable.

I think you'll love the wooden counter tops! I have 2 counter tops that are wooden and I just re-seal them with linseed oil and beeswax every 6 months or so to keep them water and stain resistant. They are much quieter and more durable than marble and I think they look really nice with vintage appliances and fixtures.

OK!

I know it is dangerous, but I had another idea! What about me using maple 1 1/2 inch thick butcher block countertops?

They are relatively inexpensive, and can be installed easily. I would not have to worry much about the sink and water because the sink has these drainboards.

img_759721_0_0dbb3b59574ca6e236d2f98675cf4a9b.jpg

And on either side of the range I could insert this tile pattern flush, so I could put hot pots on it.

img_759721_1_f80d75eb546dcca64a6db8a1efba4810.jpg

I could use the same pattern over the range as part of the existing solid yellow ceramic tile backsplash as well as on the old range space backsplash. I would surround the new tiles with more plain yellow tiles.

Would it be too much?

Looks a little....fruity. :ohmy::LOL:

OMG... LOVE the sink LeoLady... really really nice.

I like the idea of wood counter tops. I am thinking the same for myself.

Then if you found a nice piece of old marble you could just set it on top like a dough board.

Good Luck.

What was the damage on the sink, if you don't mind me asking?

No damage at all. It is pristine the photo probably shows a bit of dirt. Oh duh! It didn't cost me a thing. When my grandmother's church was renovating it's new building, I helped them. The church GAVE me the sink!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have a thing about lemons. I love the color and the scent. In this case, it fits right in with the existing backsplash!

Hombre, I have a 30 by 50 inch marble table top I bought at a thrift shop years ago. I plan to use it in the breakfast area on top of my grandmother's gateleg table with the antique cottage style chairs.

Only a couple of steps from the main kitchen, and low enough to use for pastry when needed.

I plan to get prefinished oak plank flooring at Lumber Liquidators, along with their maple butcher block counters. I think wood floors will help the re-sell value of the house.

Last edited:
Here is the faucet I am thinking of using. I haven't bought it yet.

img_760116_0_2638c86a38c6d070a4b80f7b57581905.jpg

And here is a similar butcher block table to the one I have in storage. I won't cut on the counters.

img_760116_1_94e7924fed750b92d5ddf9913fe7fd38.jpg

Which fabric do you like best for the kitchen curtains?

img_762260_0_100ebe047a33daf275f12bb65907683f.jpg

or

img_762260_1_b90abccb775475143c7e206b51b4c3c3.jpg

Considering the tile pattern I chose. I appreciate all input.

Great!

I was hoping you would say that because I have a lot of this fabric.

I will make curtains, braided rugs, tablecloth for the breakfast area, and cover potholders, etc.

Thanks so very much ELF!

The blue (and lemons for that matter) are very Mediterranean...I like it! It would make me happy to look at it!

Since it may be a long time before I can get things pulled togther, don't hold your breath.

But when I am done, I would be proud to have you come for a visit.

Back
Top Bottom