"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I love this ... never thought to search one out.

How are tha handles Andy .. are they fairly rigid? Like stirring or mixing heavy things - will they flex ?

Rigid, no flex. I found them in one of the kitchen stores in a premium outlet mall in MA. e.g. Kitchen Collection or Corningware Corelle & More.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks for the info Andy .. very much appreciated !

Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Head Chef

I have what I think was called a "Spoontula" in the original packaging, combo silicone spoon and spatula, and one large and one small silicone spatula. Use them a lot.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the replies everyone. I have actually been looking for any kind of rigid spatula for an unusually long time, but have been unable to find any good enough until now. Wooden ones always felt like they weren't properly treated, as if splinters were going to come out after first use.

And I've found the silicone top and wooden handle variety, but aside from the cleaning downside of all utensils made of removable parts, all of them had a flexible top. Instead I have another whole silicone spatula with a flexible top, specifically because of ease of cleaning and maintenance.

And Cara, I really appreciate your interest, but I feel more comfortable currently keeping such things for myself, and it is by no means personal :).
Old 12-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk101 View Post
Thank you for the replies everyone. I have actually been looking for any kind of rigid spatula for an unusually long time, but have been unable to find any good enough until now. Wooden ones always felt like they weren't properly treated, as if splinters were going to come out after first use.

And I've found the silicone top and wooden handle variety, but aside from the cleaning downside of all utensils made of removable parts, all of them had a flexible top. Instead I have another whole silicone spatula with a flexible top, specifically because of ease of cleaning and maintenance.

And Cara, I really appreciate your interest, but I feel more comfortable currently keeping such things for myself, and it is by no means personal :).
I've been using my wooden utensil set since I got it for a wedding present, with my wok, over 29 years ago. The most-used item is a little rough at the spot where the spatula meets the handle, but any bits of wood that might fall off are just extra fiber

Take a look at bamboo utensils. I have those, too - someone gave them to me for Christmas once. They're much smoother than the old wood ones, but the handle doesn't fit my hand well, so it's not my go-to tool.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I think I found a set of bamboo utensils once, but I can't remember what I thought of them. If I didn't buy them I'm inclined to think that set didn't make a good impression. But I'm still keeping an eye out for any kind of wooden utensils.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk101 View Post
I think I found a set of bamboo utensils once, but I can't remember what I thought of them. If I didn't buy them I'm inclined to think that set didn't make a good impression. But I'm still keeping an eye out for any kind of wooden utensils.
Just like knives, it's important that they feel comfortable in your hand. If they're not shaped right, they can be unpleasant to use. So don't be afraid to pick them up and pretend you're sauteeing or stirring something, to get a feel for them. It might look funny, but so what? You have to live with them!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I hadn't considered it before, that's a very good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

Tags
oil