"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I don't really like the gizmos and gadgets that are specific for just one thing... uni-taskers as Alton Brown says. I did get used to have a certain amount of equipment at hand when I was working in restaurants though, so I like to have large sheet pans, a FP with attachments, stand mixer + attachment (thats what I'm working on aquiring), a couple of pots and pans in various sizes, knives, utensils (whisks, spats, microplane, measuring stuff) , silpat, mixing bowls. Things like a garlic press or an egg separator or egg slicer? No thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaKing View Post
lolol!! Sorry lol. Nice to see I'm not the only crazy person with lots of cooking ware.
I WANT more cook ware, but have no more room. I see all you guys posting and I WISH I could be that crazy. When you go from a house with cabinets everywhere and countertops that seemed endless to a condo with 3 counters that are 3ft wide each and only 3 cabinets for cookware and "tupperware" you become quite limited.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #33
Sous Chef

There are two places where I must exercise restraint: bookstores and cooking stores.
Right now I see a new knife on the horizon.

On the topic of coffee cups, where do you guys find enough coffee cups to have a collection? The last time I went looking, about the only thing I could find were jumbo mugs that could almost double as a stockpot.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

I'm afraid there is no cure once you have the affliction. There are only periods of brief remission when you run out of funds or room. I'm writing this as I lovingly look at my own collection of Staubs and Le Creusets. The only solace is that most of us here have the same disease...LOL. With some women it's shoes, some jewelry, some clothes, but with us it's pretty cookware. One has to do in this life what makes us happy. Enjoy your addiction ;-)!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

With limited space you have to be creative and think outside the box, or in this case the kitchen ;-). Do you have room for an armoire outside the kitchen? A nearby closet. An etegare inside the kitchen? What about a corner for a Le Creuset iron multi level rack for your cast iron? Do you have space for a hanging cookware rack? No one says everything has to be right in the kitchen. You can have your most used pieces there, and the rest nearby.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondelle View Post
With limited space you have to be creative and think outside the box, or in this case the kitchen ;-). Do you have room for an armoire outside the kitchen? A nearby closet. An etegare inside the kitchen? What about a corner for a Le Creuset iron multi level rack for your cast iron? Do you have space for a hanging cookware rack? No one says everything has to be right in the kitchen. You can have your most used pieces there, and the rest nearby.
Whoa! Truer words were never said!!! Our kitchen is so small we have go go outside to open the oven door. I have cookware and appliances all over the house. Our 18-quart electric roaster lives under the bed in a guest room. Same for waffle irons and such.

Buck is always amazed that I can remember where everything is. Don't know. It's just me.

As for hanging things overhead, our kitchen looks like a culinary stalactite wonder. Hey, it works for us. And, until the kitchen is remodeled - after winning the lottery, which we don't play - it will have to stay this way.

We really don't mind because it works so well. "If it ain't broke. Don't break it!"
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #37
Master Chef

kitchen stalactite----that's really a great mental image, Katie!!!! Um,,,, I never fill my drawers with totally useless junk ever......and I totally mean it........ever.........No you can't bring cameras into my kitchen..........ever..........
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Hi, I am a kitchen stuff junkie, is this the rehab thread, I have a lot of pyrex, and I am seriously thinking of getting more 9x13's (have 3 or 4) and 10x15's ( have 3 want 6 of each) after this past weekend and getting a second refrigerator to keep all that cooked food in. But then I do have 3 more of each at my moms house. And a worker freezer that isn't doing anything there as well... But beyond the casseroles I have, what would probably add up to 4 complete sets of the glass mixing bowels, I have the glass Pastry layout thingys that have circles on them so you cant cut pie crust to size. I have a lot of pyrex ramekins and so many pyrex pie plates that I might consider selling some at a yard sale. I have about 20. I caught a corning revere store that was going out of business.
I have a pretty complete collection of lodge cast iron
I have a pretty complete collection nissin thermos' to take coffee and left overs to work
I have about half of a complete collection of K/A small appliances. Need to get accessories for the mixer and the food processor, need to get a hand mixer and perhaps the K/A waffle maker, I am definitely getting another K/A slow cooker and a K/A griddle
And the steel Jar for my blender
I need a new deep fryer, dont quite know where I'll put it but so what

I bet I have something no one else has. A collection of about 300 quart and pint size mason jars just waiting to be filled. And If you have that, I even have a few gallon sized mason jars. Which we will say are hand me downs from my grandma. Even if she did die 10-15 years before I was born. She knew I was coming.
I have a set of anolon that I love, I am building a set of anolon knives that I love.

I have 4 different butcher block cutting boards. All are different sizes. I see 1 or 2 more coming because I am seeing that DW is lining them up next to each other on the counter and using them as the food prep surface. I think there should be more so that more counter top can be covered.

You know what I really want... that home soda making thing. That might be cost saving :)
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #39
Head Chef

What color are your mason jars villasman?

I collect the aqua glass ones and use them for canisters. I would guesstimate I have over 130 ranging in size from one pint to 6 gallons.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #40
Head Chef

Vilasman, how big is your kitchen? Wow, you must be a master organizer! If I had that much Pyrex, I wouldn't know where to put it or how to find it after I put it somewhere!