"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm glad it's coming along PA - just keep an eye out for butcher block oil - but only if you want something different. Your mineral oil will do the trick at a fraction of the cost!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'm glad it's coming along PA - just keep an eye out for butcher block oil - but only if you want something different. Your mineral oil will do the trick at a fraction of the cost!!!!
Thanks, elf. The way this thing is soaking up the oil, I'm sticking with the mineral oil!

Old 02-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Was it "raw" when you bought it PA? Or just dried out? I just wonder why it's taking so much. I probably could do my kitchen island more but I have never saturated it until it couldn't hold anymore.

I was just trying to look up on athe web to see if I could find anything on how much to saturate a cutting board or butcher block - couldn't find anything of course - but came across a site that HIGHLY advocates the use of olive oil for wood treatment - YUCK - when that stuff turns rancid those that used olive oil are going to be extremely upset!!!!!

Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Elf, I think the wood was completely raw--and is it ever thirsty! I'm just following the guidelines that Goodweed and Michael had suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
When I get a new wood board I never use it until I give it a liberal coating of mineral oil and give it 12-24 hours to soak in (the first day or two it might actually soak up most of the oil in 8-12 hours). Then repeat for several days until it's absorbed about all the oil it can. Depending on the type of wood, age of the wood, how long since it was cut, if it's an edge grain or end grain board, etc. - this can take from 2-days to 2-weeks.
Seems to be working so far!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are doing things right PA - we do have some great people here to help in times of need, don't we??

Old 02-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

Elf - I got an edge-grain Boos cutting board (18x24x1 inch) a couple of years ago and it soaked up about a cup (8-oz) of mineral oil over about a week. I rubbed oil into it and then brushed on a coating of oil, flipped the board over (had it sitting on a couple of cooling racks) and repeated the process on the other side - flipping it over on each application. Obviously this wouldn't work with a countertop or a free-standing butcher's block.

I would have to guess that the "correct" amount of oil it needs is the amount it needs.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I would have to guess that the "correct" amount of oil it needs is the amount it needs.
And I agree, Michael! I keep telling the board to tell me "when!" I think we're getting close...