"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Good informative thread.

I had similar issues with my 20 year old Calphalon anodized AL pans. At first I was very disappointed and had buyers remorse.
SS was what most of my friends and what the chefs on TV used. But watching short order cooks using AL pans helped me to decide on anodized AL.
I learned the hard way what was explained in this thread.

I do disagree with Chief Longwind.
AL pans must be kept spotless just like SS. In fact the manufacturer (Calphalon) recommends using "scotch brite" pads for cleaning and there are AL cleaning pastes available for AL.
Once I learned to clean properly and cook properly on AL, my life became much easier.
A dirty AL pan is no different than a dirty SS pan. Seasoning is not required for AL or SS as cast iron is. A clean (spotless) pan is the only way to work with AL or SS.

My experience with AL is only with Calphalon anodized and the commercial saute pan like they use at Waffle house. Its the pan they make their eggs and omelet's in.

I am so glad I found this forum. And I hope my initial brashness will be excused.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #42
Master Chef

I still maintain that according to my experience, seasoning makes aluminum pans much more friendly to work with, but not as pretty. These sites agree:

How to Season a Pan | Pan Seasoning Guide

Seasoning Cookware

I even season my inexpensive, and lightweight aluminum camping cookware. I'ts non-stick now. Before I seasoned it, water stuck to the pans.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Chief. I guess everyone has an opinion.
But I am one to follow the manufactures instructions. Calphalon recommends spotless pans for limited sticking of certain foods.
Also the anodized coating helps in this regard.

The small omelet pans (6" & 8") I have are commercial grade aluminum. These pans have no instructions as to the care.
I keep them as clean as possible. I can cook eggs over easy in them with no sticking.

Now, I could give these pans to someone else, and I will guarantee, they will have issues. Sticking issues. They are used to non-stick coated pans and would be dismayed at the performance of my cookware as I was when I first started using commercial grade pans.
This is not the fault of the cookware.

I recommended Calphalon AL to my sister in law. She used them about 1/2 dozen times and gave up. She ended up offering them to me.

I am happy to have her pans and they are great. But unhappy she was unhappy.
Moral of the story.
Do not recommend commercial cookware to the novice.

BTW. All my AL pans are well worn. The anodized surface is gone. The pans are better than ever. They have evidently absorbed some cooking residue over the years and made them almost non-stick.
This does not prevent me from scrubbing them after every use.

http://housewares.about.com/lw/Food-...k-Cookware.htm
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Chief. I guess everyone has an opinion.
But I am one to follow the manufactures instructions. Calphalon recommends spotless pans for limited sticking of certain foods.
Also the anodized coating helps in this regard.

The small omelet pans (6" & 8") I have are commercial grade aluminum. These pans have no instructions as to the care.
I keep them as clean as possible. I can cook eggs over easy in them with no sticking.

Now, I could give these pans to someone else, and I will guarantee, they will have issues. Sticking issues. They are used to non-stick coated pans and would be dismayed at the performance of my cookware as I was when I first started using commercial grade pans.
This is not the fault of the cookware.

I recommended Calphalon AL to my sister in law. She used them about 1/2 dozen times and gave up. She ended up offering them to me.

I am happy to have her pans and they are great. But unhappy she was unhappy.
Moral of the story.
Do not recommend commercial cookware to the novice.

BTW. All my AL pans are well worn. The anodized surface is gone. The pans are better than ever. They have evidently absorbed some cooking residue over the years and made them almost non-stick.
This does not prevent me from scrubbing them after every use.

How to Care for Nonstick Cookware - Caring for Non-Stick Cookware & Bakeware

Aodizing is a treatment used to harden aluminum. Only the outside surface of the pan is anodized. We anodized the aluminum parts of the U.S. Navy's DSRV's when I worked at Lockheed, to prevent salt-water corrosion. The inner surface is a non-stick plastic, or ceramic coating.

At one of our big-box stores, GFS, there are aluminum restaurant pans, bare aluminum, sold there. The instructions for these pans states that the pans must be seasoned for to work right.

Non-stick coatings are not to be seasoned. You are absolutely correct in that statement. Bare metal, on the other hand, is supposed to be seasoned.

There are foods that when put in contact with bare aluminum, such as eggs, or asparagus, will discolor. Seasoning the pan's cooking surface creates a barrier that will prevent this discoloration as well as prevent leaching of aluminum into acidic or alkali foods. Though the aluminum won't hurt you, it can give an unwanted metallic flavor.

So, why again wouldn't you want to season bare aluminum cookware?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #45
Executive Chef

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but I have noticed recently that there is lots of advice that aluminium pans shouldn't be washed in the dishwasher.

I queried this and was told it was because the detergent ....what's the word I want?....tarnishes(?), oxidises(?) the aluminium and makes it go a dull grey colour.

Well my mother's aluminium pans did that long before the arrival of domestic dishwashers so I think it must be the nature of the beast.

Not sure if the above applies to anodized aluminium.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

The chemicals in dishwasher detergent gives unprotected aluminum a grey/black coating. It's not attractive. I don't have the same issue with dish detergent.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
Head Chef

I have SS pans which I love. They are the kind with a heavy copper bottom. But I have long ago resigned myself to the fact that meat/chicken etc will stick like mad to them. Reading this thread I was extremely sceptical that "leaving stuff alone" would be the solution to this problem, but I tried it just now (and it nearly killed me to not to get in there and start scraping!)

And it works! Amazingly, this is my saucepan after browning both bacon and then chicken pieces - no stuck bits and all ready for deglazing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No stuck bits!.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	19249  
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Skittle68 - having any luck with your pans? I have the same problem, great pans, and everything seems to stick. I might not be letting my oil become hot enough. Going to attempt letting the oil become hotter . . .
Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #49
Master Chef

Roll-Bones; It seems that there are two distinct camps on seasoning cast aluminum pans. In addition, I learned something about hard anodized cookware. I read the Calphalon care directions. I didn't understand that the entire pan is hard anodized. I had thought that only the outside of the pan was anodized. The anodizing creates a barrier against food coming into contact with the base aluminum. This makes it self-releasing as the food comes up to the proper cooked temperature, and prevents the metal from leaching into the food.

What I was talking about is bare, untreated aluminum pans. Hence our different thoughts about proper care. The pans I had looked at were bare aluminum, professional restaurant pans. The pan instructions recommended seasoning the pans, as I had stated in earlier posts.

I am now in agreement with you about how to care for Calphalon, hard anodized cookware.

For bare aluminum cookware, season, and if camping and cooking over an open fire, soap the outside of the pan.

I guess we were both correct, and not looking hard enough at what the other was saying.

Oh, an I may have been around here since about the time the wheel was invented, but I still have so much to learn. Thanks for challenging me. I know more today than I did yesterday. Just one more thing, I do have an engineering degree, and sometimes go into much detail to prove my points. Just letting you know so that you know to prepare if we are to have such discussions. I can be taught, but you may have to go deeper than a simple sentence or two.

If I go too far off the deep end, someone, usually the mods, will reign me back in. Yeh, it's happened. I never mean to insult, and only seek to get to factual information. It's just who I am.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #50
Cook

And then there is this:

What is Anodizing?

My understanding of anodizing is that it is a surface coating and not an alloy.