I cannot tell the difference between maple and pancake syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also only see real maple syrup in glass. Pancake syrup in plastic.

From what my son tells me, his landlord has a list of very wealthy customers that he only sells his syrup to. Therefor he never uses plastic containers. I guess rich folks don't have plastic in their lives.

It a one man operation. Once all his customers have their syrup, he stops collecting the sap. He does make about ten or a few more extra jugs for gifts.

At one time before he started to feel his age, he had a full operation like his neighbors. Now he does it only as a hobby for his customers and a few friends.

Unlike his neighbors though he doesn't have tubing running back to the sugaring barn. He still goes out with horse and flat, and collects the sap each day.

For what it is worth, Maxwell Farms, my family's Maple Syrup farm up in Vermont, ships me a half gallon each year on Xmas, and it is in a plastic jug.

I doubt the container is an indication of quality. In fact fraudulent maple syrup is often in glass containers, to make it look more expensive.

If you have ever seen maple syrup production, it usually uses a lot of ten gallon plastic drums. I doubt there is anything in plastic that hurts the syrup or in glass that helps them.

BTW There was a discussion among my cousins when the Farm switched from tin cans to plastic bottles. The plastic won, as it was something like a quarter a set cheaper than the tin cans for a half gallon. I think everyone thought that they were neutral in quality, some thought the tin was more traditional, but cost won out.

I'd just look, whatever the packaging, to the ingredient list. If it has corn syrup it is ungood.

Vermont, I'm told, and Canada are devising a voluntary seal for pure maple, they have been debating about it for years, I suspect our grandchildren will see it. Maple syrup farmers tend to be ornery taciturn northmen. It is like herding cats if the cats were already pissed off.

Charlie, I would be willing to take all of your jars of maple syrup to "recycle". Love the stuff!

Sorry, no can do. Don't keep that stuff in the house. Told my kids if they would even consider eating Russian Pancakes I make with maple syrup, I would disown them. Joking of course not about what I said, I'd still keep they too darn cute. ;)

Back
Top Bottom