"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
But he also said it's not necessarily an allergy per se, just a reaction to lots of it at once. So, when you're experimenting keltin, I wouldn't pour it on heavily at first. (Just in case you buy a 25 lb. box!)
Thanks for the head up FM! Iíve eaten a lot of Chinese takeout, and so far so good. I just took a ďshotĒ of the Accent, and nothing so far. Maybe Iíll self medicate with a shout of Bourbon just in case!
__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
One thing that I usually do is use it to finish a dish as opposed to adding it during the cooking process. I heard a while ago that the negative effects, if any, come from cooking the MSG. I doubt that is true, but I don't find any benefit of adding it at the beginning of cooking so I don't.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Maybe Iíll self medicate with a shout of Bourbon just in case!
Speaking of, I was experimenting with vodka martinis one night. I enjoy a dirty martini from time to time and it got me thinking that the salty taste in a martini is kind of cool. I made a vodka martini with some msg. I have to say it was quite interesting. It was pretty good. I doubt I would do it again, but it was fun the one time I did it.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #24
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Speaking of, I was experimenting with vodka martinis one night. I enjoy a dirty martini from time to time and it got me thinking that the salty taste in a martini is kind of cool. I made a vodka martini with some msg. I have to say it was quite interesting. It was pretty good. I doubt I would do it again, but it was fun the one time I did it.
Hmmmm.....since Umami, or savory, is triggerd by MSG, and tomatoes are savory, what about a Bloody Mary with MSG? Or just tomato juice? I think I'll try that too!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
One thing that I usually do is use it to finish a dish as opposed to adding it during the cooking process. I heard a while ago that the negative effects, if any, come from cooking the MSG. I doubt that is true, but I don't find any benefit of adding it at the beginning of cooking so I don't.
Excellent. That's what I'll reserve it for then, as a finisher. Thanks for the info and tip!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 373
I use MSG all the time. Mostly in my Asian cuisines, but I like it in soups and stews as well..

I find most of my MSG at Oriental Grocery stores..

:)
__________________
candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
I've been using MSG for at least 40 years and have always added it after the dish has been cooked, especially veggies.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I've been using MSG for at least 40 years and have always added it after the dish has been cooked, especially veggies.
Cool! And....have you noticed my AJ kind of looks like Buck?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Cool! And....have you noticed my AJ kind of looks like Buck?
You've lost me, keltin. What is an "AJ?" I probably already know, but must be having a "senior" moment.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #30
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
You've lost me, keltin. What is an "AJ?" I probably already know, but must be having a "senior" moment.
The pic of my eldest that I posted earlier in this thread. Can you see the pics I posted? His name is AJ.
__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.