100% fruit, frozen treat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My DW taught me everything I know, including how to walk, and breathe. Just ask her.:LOL: I make fruit smoothies that are like soft-serve ice cream on a daily basis. I use frozen fruit, usually bananas and mango (DW's favorite). For me, it can be any frozen fruit, maybe some cocoa powder, or other flavorings, a touch of ice-cold milk for the fat content, and blend it in my Ninja pulse blender, in the individual blender containers. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, I didn't really know that this didn't do anything special besides grind it up. The reason I don't want to make a smoothie with milk or yogurt is because I'm avoiding dairy. I like the creamy consistency it provides without adding yogurt or something. Plus all the parts are dishwasher safe, so cleanup can't get any easier. I'll have to try doing this with just 100% fruit in our blender and see if I get the same thing. This just grinds the fruit so fine and even- I can't imagine getting that in a blender (and I don't have a food processor) without adding liquid.

Well, I didn't really know that this didn't do anything special besides grind it up. The reason I don't want to make a smoothie with milk or yogurt is because I'm avoiding dairy. I like the creamy consistency it provides without adding yogurt or something. Plus all the parts are dishwasher safe, so cleanup can't get any easier. I'll have to try doing this with just 100% fruit in our blender and see if I get the same thing. This just grinds the fruit so fine and even- I can't imagine getting that in a blender (and I don't have a food processor) without adding liquid.

My Ninja brand pule blender has cutting blades more akin to a food processor than a normal blender. So it makes everything nice and creamy smooth. I could add just ice and get a sorbet. In fact, if I were to start with frozen, blended fruit, sugar, and maybe a fruit juice, I could use my ice cream maker to make sorbet as well. Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You don't need to add anything to the frozen fruit in the food processor, it just takes some patience. You may have to push the fruit down the side of the bowl a time or two, but it 100% works without adding any dairy or liquid to it at all.

You don't need to add anything to the frozen fruit in the food processor, it just takes some patience. You may have to push the fruit down the side of the bowl a time or two, but it 100% works without adding any dairy or liquid to it at all.

I don't have a food processor. And anyway, I already have my fun new gadget, and I like it!

I don't have a food processor. And anyway, I already have my fun new gadget, and I like it!

I would get one, 'cept I have no room! Have fun, Skittle, seems like a great new toy, and you deserve it!

haha It takes approx 2 minutes, not 20 ... I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, was just saying there is a viable alternative that many folks may already have at home.

<3 Z

sorry, didn't mean to disparage your thought.

use it in good health.

when can we get some? :pig:

Thanks for the review and the pictures .. makes me want to get one too. Told DH about it and he was all wide eyed !

Have a blast with your new toy.

I have some of those special one job toys too and I love them.

Add a touch of vanilla to your fruit--sooo good. I froze peaches last summer, and have been eating peach 'ice cream' all winter. No dairy, just peaches, sweetener and vanilla. I am hoping my strawberries do well this spring, so I can do the same thing with them.

Add a touch of vanilla to your fruit--sooo good. I froze peaches last summer, and have been eating peach 'ice cream' all winter. No dairy, just peaches, sweetener and vanilla. I am hoping my strawberries do well this spring, so I can do the same thing with them.

Oh my gosh- brilliant!! I wonder how apples with cinnamon would be? I will definitely be trying the peaches with vanilla. I'm not much of a fruit eater, so this is a great gadget for me. I might try it for making hummus too... Hmmm.... Can anyone else think of other uses for this one trick pony?

Cinnamon, cardamon, even, dare I suggest, a bit of chilpolte chili to strawberry-avocado (oh, you didn't mention avocado). What about baba ganoush? (sp).

I have a lot of "one use only" things--krumkake iron, rosette irons, Swedish Almond Cake pan...I just keep them in the basement on shelves. I only keep the kitchen stuff I use almost daily in the kitchen.

Cinnamon, cardamon, even, dare I suggest, a bit of chilpolte chili to strawberry-avocado (oh, you didn't mention avocado). What about baba ganoush? (sp).

I have a lot of "one use only" things--krumkake iron, rosette irons, Swedish Almond Cake pan...I just keep them in the basement on shelves. I only keep the kitchen stuff I use almost daily in the kitchen.

We live on a lake, so there's no basement, and our house is 600 sq ft lol. No garage either, and not much of a shed lol. But I will find a spot for it...

Back
Top Bottom