30" gas cooktop: Wolf, Viking, or ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, of course, a residential kitchen will never see the level of abuse most commercial kitchens go through. With normal care they will stay as new looking for years.
Here's that table I installed. I used to have a large chest freezer in that spot for many years before I decided to turn it into a work station.

img_1287959_0_638d224d62be4e779b02e6c0f2b79a31.jpg

That looks very nice RF! :) Even professional looking.

You've got me thinking about kitchen counters. As y'all saw with the pics I posted that I have tile counters... Nice tile counters but tile is kind of passe these days. I've coveted the granite and other premium counters I saw in many of the nicer houses I saw when house hunting, and as I said, here in today's real estate market the inventory is so small and buyer competition so fierce that you don't get to pick much, and in fact about your only decisions are "can I live here?" and "can I beat the other bidders?" My kitchen is nicer than many I've seen, and I've seen many nicer kitchens too. (But the good news is that overall I got the best house I saw over the entire year and a half of house hunting.)

But here's what I'm leading up to: I wonder if stainless steel counters would make any sense in a residential setting. You can be sure of one thing, that anything commercial kitchens and restaurants are doing makes perfect practical sense. Clean up costs money for them even though the duty may fall to minimum wage workers. Durability makes perfect sense to them because they can't afford to shut down their kitchens for repairs. It's no coincidence that so much professional gear including shelving and moveable tables, stoves, cooktops, hoods, everything else, all of it is stainless.

I wonder if stainless steel counters in a residential kitchen would make any sense when compared with granite and all the other premium kitchen counter surfaces.

Yes, of course, a residential kitchen will never see the level of abuse most commercial kitchens go through. With normal care they will stay as new looking for years.
Here's that table I installed. I used to have a large chest freezer in that spot for many years before I decided to turn it into a work station.

img_1288028_0_638d224d62be4e779b02e6c0f2b79a31.jpg

I have those same Cambro containers for my flour and sugar, they are awesome. For the price they can't be beat.

And I think that is my same scale as well!

I like that work station a lot

img_1288035_0_638d224d62be4e779b02e6c0f2b79a31.jpg

That is, flat out, a work of art. I would love that in my kitchen.

I would choose stainless for countertops, still like having cupboards below. I think a kitchen "island" would be perfect to integrate a stainless workspace.

We use our portable dishwasher as an island. Having wheels on the island can be very handy, especially in a small or crowded kitchen.

When I was a teenager, I did volunteer work in the kitchen of a nursing home on weekends. All the work tops were stainless steel. They used to scrub them down with Bon Ami. Guess who go to do that job. But those surfaces would shine like new when I was done. They clean like magic and are an excellent way to keep a sanitary kitchen. I say go for SS. The only drawback is that your kitchen will lack that warmth look, but that can be overcome with curtains and colorful other items. Your KA mixer out in view, a cookie jar, colorful canisters, etc. You get the idea. Splashes of color throughout the kitchen. Even a color of choice for paint. :angel:

We use our portable dishwasher as an island. Having wheels on the island can be very handy, especially in a small or crowded kitchen.

Growing up we had a portable dishwasher and we often used it as an island, I didn't know that they still made them.

I think I'll pass on the stainless counters. And alas, my kitchen is just a bit too small for even a small island, although its more or less square shape makes it very easy to maneuver around and all counters and cabinets are within close reach. It even has room enough for two cooks if they can coordinate the dance of working without colliding.

I think I'll go for something like granite or one of the other luxury surfaces. I'm pretty sure they're very durable and easy to clean too. Unfortunately that will have to wait some significant amount of time (many months or a year or so) until I have an idea where my finances are going. So far I've been sticking to essential expenses. (Well I really did need the Wolf, you can't cook on a broken cooktop and an oven with no broiler.) ;)

And I still have to get a decent hood. That GE hood is an eyesore and some idiot even painted it, and they painted the knobs too!

When I did my remodel a few years ago, I chose a Cambria countertop. It has the look of granite but is non-porous, and is much harder and stronger. It is totally maintenance-free and only needs soap and water to clean it.

I chose it for its care-free quality. It comes with none of the usage warnings attached to granite.

Whatever counter tops you decide on, try to get one that has a lip at the front edge. My counter tops don't have that and my tummy gets wet if I use the sink for any amount of time. It's really, really annoying.

I think I'll pass on the stainless counters. And alas, my kitchen is just a bit too small for even a small island, although its more or less square shape makes it very easy to maneuver around and all counters and cabinets are within close reach. It even has room enough for two cooks if they can coordinate the dance of working without colliding.

I think I'll go for something like granite or one of the other luxury surfaces. I'm pretty sure they're very durable and easy to clean too. Unfortunately that will have to wait some significant amount of time (many months or a year or so) until I have an idea where my finances are going. So far I've been sticking to essential expenses. (Well I really did need the Wolf, you can't cook on a broken cooktop and an oven with no broiler.) ;)

And I still have to get a decent hood. That GE hood is an eyesore and some idiot even painted it, and they painted the knobs too!

My California girlfriend remodeled her kitchen. When she went to the yard to pick out her counter top, she spotted one way down the yard and ran right to it. It is truly a work of art. It should be in a museum. She never looked at any other. Sometimes Mother Nature makes the choice for you. :angel:

Okay...there would be some decisions to make on the countertops...I liked several of those colors. Partial to the darker colors. What color are you picking Beth?

I have tentatively selected the Iron Ore color. My sister has the same product in Crystal Ash and hers should have been installed by now. She is at the East Coast for 3 weeks and I am missing our weekly private tour each Sunday, so I haven't seen the Crystal Ash. I hope to know if I am going with the Iron Ore after I see her installation.

I've had a Broan hood since February 2000. Works great and still going strong. I run the filters through the DW once a month and have had to replace them once.

I have tentatively selected the Iron Ore color. My sister has the same product in Crystal Ash and hers should have been installed by now. She is at the East Coast for 3 weeks and I am missing our weekly private tour each Sunday, so I haven't seen the Crystal Ash. I hope to know if I am going with the Iron Ore after I see her installation.

I really liked the Starlight...:)

I really liked the Starlight...:)

oh crap, just what I need, another option to consider:blink:

I just realized that I must be making some decisions real soon. Tomorrow I meet with the cabinet maker to let him know what cabinets I want. Sure would sleep better tonight if I knew. I need to be pulling together decisions on painted or unpainted cabinets, interior doors and baseboards. Knowing the color of the counters would help too:mellow:.

Andy, the washable filters was the second thing I liked about the Broan with air movement being the first. Good to know yours is still going strong.

oh crap, just what I need, another option to consider:blink:

I just realized that I must be making some decisions real soon. Tomorrow I meet with the cabinet maker to let him know what cabinets I want. Sure would sleep better tonight if I knew. I need to be pulling together decisions on painted or unpainted cabinets, interior doors and baseboards. Knowing the color of the counters would help too:mellow:.

Andy, the washable filters was the second thing I liked about the Broan with air movement being the first. Good to know yours is still going strong.

LOL!!! But my opinion doesn't count, I'm just window shopping:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom