"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Andy M - I will NEVER have black appliances again - thank goodness my eyesight is like yours!!!!
Never have understood this. I (we) have all black appliances and love them. I have no trouble keeping them clean. I just usually wipe them down with the dishrag when I wash pots and pans after cooking, then wipe off the residue with a dry towel. The only one that really needs daily cleaning is the range anyway. The fridge and dishwasher don't generally get that dirty between regular kitchen cleanings.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
We have stainless steel appliances, and yes, we use baby oil. Its like waxing you car, or polishing wood, it goes on and you buff it off.....just how your car is not left sticky neither are your appliances. For us it works better than the products specifically for cleaning SS appliences, and is very very quick to do. It certainly doesn't seem to be a dust magnet in our house. SSdoes show everythng up otherwise, worse than the white appliences we have in the other house and baby oil has been the easiest way to deal with it. I wipe down my kitchen daily, and do a more thourough job weekly, in which I do the ss fronts. The SS hob hood I do much less frequently, apart from the underside, the top sides I do I guess every couple of months throughly with oil and they sparkle on. It just takes a couple of minutes, its just the tiniest bit of oil you are using.

Hope this does not mean that I am OCD about the appliances!
I do the same as you- and Iam not OCD, it doesn't take much, then buff !

Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #23
Sous Chef

My precious black & stainless stove and dishwasher are in storage. The black top showed every speck of dust - we live in an agricultural area where peat dust flies. The stainless didn't give me a problem, much easier than the white. We actually thought about facing the kitchen cabinets in aluminum until they told us they were going to demolish the trailer.

I just used windex on my stainless - kept it clean and bright. That's what I use now on the appliances.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Lulu and Barb, how often do you do the baby oil thing? Do you buff out with paper towels, soft towel or what? Come to think of it, our old cleaning lady used to wipe my stainless steel sink with oil every once in a while - now I know why. I don't remember it being too gooey either, I remember it looked great til I used it and then it wasn't pretty anymore, just a sink. How long do finger prints stay away with the baby oil method?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Lulu and Barb, how often do you do the baby oil thing? Do you buff out with paper towels, soft towel or what? Come to think of it, our old cleaning lady used to wipe my stainless steel sink with oil every once in a while - now I know why. I don't remember it being too gooey either, I remember it looked great til I used it and then it wasn't pretty anymore, just a sink. How long do finger prints stay away with the baby oil method?
I just use baby oil on my sink, w/ a paper towel !
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I used a special stainless steel cleaner for the refrigerator, and also have a special cleaner for my black stovetop. They are pretty pricey, though, and I think plain white vinegar in a spray bottle would do just as good a job.
I sure wouldn't use baby oil...that would be a gooey mess.
Hey Const.....whats the cleaner for your black stovetop? I so regret buying a stainless steel stove with a black top. The black top is a nightmare when cleaning and its nothing but a dust magnet. Sure could use some tips.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Andy M - I will NEVER have black appliances again - thank goodness my eyesight is like yours!!!!
I don't wish for poor eyesight.....just wished I'd researched a little better when I went to purchase our stove (stainless with black top). Thus since I have good eyesight I'm constantly wiping this thing down..... . If you like everything in a nice clean orderly manner..........beware of black appliances.....their dust magnets and will drive you crazy.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie

It has no set day for being done, but not more than once a fortnight- more like once a month....or half way between I would say. I don't use papertowel that often in my house, so I just use a softish rag. In between times, when the benches etc get a wipe down I just wipe it over with a dry cloth, unless it needs a wet cloth for spills (very common here) in which case I wipe it dry with the soft cloth and a circular motion. (Most of my soft kitchen rags are old towels/faceclothes whose pile has gone soft and fluffy through wear and been banished from the bathroom)

Similarly, if you rub your stailess steel sink roughly dry with a small terry towel it will take thirty seconds to dry it to a full shine again.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This is how I clean my black appliances.

My microwave, fridge and dishwasher front are in black. The portable washer and dryer, stove and freezer are in white.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I used it for years. Needs redone per wk as it collects fuzz, dog hair.