"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best mixer?

I'm looking to get a KA stand mixer (red) but when I went to read reviews about it, some said it was flimsy and didn't run correctly. I will mostly be using mine to make desserts and things of that nature. Any suggestions as if I should get it and or keep looking? I also like the style of the mixer. Any others like it out there?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Which KA mixer are you looking at? There are a couple different models. Tilt Head, bowl lift, different sizes. Many of us have KA's and love them.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoAwad View Post
I'm looking to get a KA stand mixer (red) but when I went to read reviews about it, some said it was flimsy and didn't run correctly. I will mostly be using mine to make desserts and things of that nature. Any suggestions as if I should get it and or keep looking? I also like the style of the mixer. Any others like it out there?
That's a surprising review. KA mixers are generally considered work horses. They come in different sizes (power). Desserts are likely to be less taxing than mixing heavy bread doughs and KA can handle bread doughs. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a KA.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Which KA mixer are you looking at? There are a couple different models. Tilt Head, bowl lift, different sizes. Many of us have KA's and love them.
I'm looking at a tilt head. The standard 300 dollar one at Macy's.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I have a 7 quart, but for $320, how about a 5 quart from Sears?
KitchenAid Artisan® Series Empire Red 5 Qt. Stand Mixer. $30 Rebate Offer! Click ‘At a Glance’ tab for details - Appliances - Small Kitchen Appliances - Mixers
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a flip head, (it's what I prefer) and I have been using it for 18 years. There will always be good and bad reviews, but overall they are still good mixers. The Artisan will give you a slightly larger bowl than the Classic or Ultrapower, and more power to mix also, it should be a good choice.

Cuisinart is the other brand with a heavy duty mixer, many seem to like it, but it too has a few bad reviews.

One of the really great things about a Kitchenaid, is if you are handy, there are lots of videos on youtube on how to fix them if you ever need to, and parts are plentiful. There is one gear made of nylon that will fail to protect the motor if you are doing a bread dough or other thick dough for an extended period of time, this is cheap and easy to replace. I have never had to do a repair in 18 years, but I also know the limitations of my mixer. I make bread with no issues and lots of batters and buttercreams.

If you are going with a Kitchenaid flip head, go with an artisan model, it has the most power. The Classic is made for lighter use these days. With some shopping around, you should be able to find an Artisan for around $300 on sale.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

KA has a ton of different versions.

The two basic choices are tilt-head and bowl lift.

There are 4 basic bowl sizes 5-qt, 5.5-qt and 6-qt. and the giant 7-qt.

Then there are the motor options. they range from 275 watts to 600-700 watts (approx.)

You will probably do best with something in the middle range. Choose a 6-qt bowl and motor wattage in the 450-600 watt range and you will have a non-flimsy work horse for decades.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Cannot say which is 'best' since I have not tried them all. Generally more power and capacity is better. The old Kenwood had a good reputation. So not know if the Viking imitation of the Kenwood is as good.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Consider a Bosch Compact. Runs $200. Will handle small batches for baking and dough enough for up to 2 loaves of bread at a time. Much more versatile and sturdier than the current crop of KA mixers.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I still vote for Hobart's N50 for best countertop mixer. Just ordered a stainless steel flat beater to replace the aluminum one. They still don't make a stainless steel dough hook for it, so I'm thinking about saving my pennies for another ss flat beater and cutting it down to a dough hook. But the mixer? Yeah, best.