"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Yeah, that's the thing about the vertical machines.

With mine (horizontal), I can clean the INSIDE of the loaf pan, but I must be careful to NEVER let the OUTSIDE of the pan get wet!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?
I had a post on here somewhere, maybe even this topic

I slice the tall loaf down the side a couple times for my first couple of slices of warm bread, then for the rest, I lay the loaf down on that cut side, and have a more normal looking slice of bread for the rest of my slices. I do have to make the loaf on my machine's lowest setting to get a lighter crust, which I like, but definitely isn't "Wonderbreadesque"

One of these days I'll have to get into making a loaf of bread more work for me, but I'm happy with my machine doing all the work for now.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

It was this topic, Corazon. First page.
Here's another

That's close enough to a commercial looking slice for me.... for now that is.
I mean, isn't the idea of making homemade so it doesn't look and taste like commercially prepared food?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #44
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?
yup, i also didnt like the shape and found the crust too dark and thick for my taste, even on light setting. I also found bread done in the machine had a denser texture than if done in oven. i also use fresh yeast and that also doesnt work so well in the machine.

LOTS of reasons
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Do any of you have a unit that makes jam, meat loaf and bakes cakes as well? I've only make jam, but I still have yet to try meat loaf and a box cake mix in it.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #46
Cook

dont even make jam in mine, i like to do my jam the old fasioned way..... stupid really, but i get more sense of achievement then!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

I had a breadman I think a couple of years ago... used a couple dozen times, then... zip. nothing. For some reason I got a burr up my bum to get another bread machine (*my husband was simply thrilled.. ). This time I got the Zojirushi.. and so far, I love it!

My main reasons for buying it were the size (2 lb), shape (horizontal), and it received excellent reviews. I've used it more in the short time I've owned it then I did the old one. It does jam, meatloaf (that one kills me lol), whole wheat, dough, and bread. So far I've done bread, and pizza dough. I won't do meatloaf, and the wheat bread didn't work out so well. I plan to ask for a new mixer for my birthday and tackle wheat bread again sans bread machine.

I rarely rely on brand reputation anymore since a lot of companies are selling out for cheaper labor. Just because a company made a great product 20 years ago, sadly means very little these days.

YUM!! A recent yeasty yummy.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #48
Master Chef

I just picked one up from the Goodwill for $10. Used it a couple of times so far, first for a basic white loaf (turned out pretty good), then for a whole wheat loaf (yum!). Next I am gonna try as others have done and just let it kneed and rise then stick it in the bread pans I have to bake it...
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #49
Sous Chef

This is an old thread, but I have a new question. No one has talked about - cost. I have three grocery stores nearby. Each has their own in-house bakery.

The only local person I talked with that has his own machine said "Yeah I make good bread, but be prepared to pay the price."

I can buy a warm French Bagette in the late afternoon for 99 cents. I can buy almost any kind of bread for under $3.00.

Is a bread-baking machine a good option for me?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I've often wondered if you save money or not, too.
Sure, you are getting a fantastic tasting loaf that is homemade, but bread loaves are on sale this week for $0.88 where I shop. How much cheaper can you actually make it?