"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Ceramic cook tops

I am thinking about replacing my range with one that has a ceramic cooktop. I have heard pros and cons on the ceramic ones. Some people claim that they can shatter if anything gets dropped on it. I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone has had with their ceramic cooktop. Thanks! Snug Harbor

snug harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Snug, check out earlier threads in the appliance section. There is some discussio on this very subject.

I general, smooth tops should work well. If you drop a heavy pot full of food there is a possibility of breakage but that is a slim chance.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Sous Chef
I have a ceramic hob abd I love it. It's easy to regulate and very easy to keep clean. I'd say the probability of your dropping something on it is pretty much zero. When did you last drop a saucepan or casserole full or otherwise onto your cooker?
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
We have one, but I would rather have a nice gas range. My wife likes the range as it is easy to clean, as stated, but I don't like cooking on it.
camp_cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
WE have one and have had it for about 5 years. easy to clean, but do be careful, I dropped a bottle of wine I was using for a recipe and it cracked the cooktop..We are now one a new one but in the process of putting in a wolfe gas cook top

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
Ceramic tops

My friend has one and she says she would never ever buy another one. She finds the heat to be very inconsistent and would much rather have a "gas" range.
Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I would certainly take one over a coil electric of old. Easy to clean and certainly plenty of heat. Must have flat bottom pots...warped ones will dance across it.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Master Chef
I hated electric stoves until I moved into the house I live in now. Built in 1884, with gas light fixture fittings still in place.

But some dimwit pulled out the gas line years and years ago. $$$ to put it back in.

So I inherited an electric ceramic-top stove, which is probably 12 years old at this point.

I adore it! It's the best stove I have ever used. Boils water quickly, keeps even temp, very low temp, changes temp quickly, etc. And it's a breeze to clean.

I use all my cookware on it, cast iron, Le Creuset, even pieces that have a raised bottom.

I do have a small scratch, so you need to be careful not to drag things on it and obviously if you drop something very heavy on it, it can break.

I sure hope mine doesn't ever conk out on me!
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Master Chef
I just got one myself. Have had it about a week now. I like it so far. If you are used to cooking electric then you will probably like it. If you are used to cooking gas you probably won't. I do think it is better than the coils with heating up quickly and maintaining heat consistently. Clean up is a breeze too. And you have a nice flat surface to use as extra counter when it is not in use.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Thank you for your responses. I will probably get a ceramic stove-top for ease of clean-up, but will look for a one-piece cover because I am very clumsy, and my microwave will be above it. I've done some on-line searches for covers, and have found one. Either that, or maybe I can make my own cover (any suggestions?). Gas stoves scare me--I used one, but many years ago--and my cat got on the counter while my back was turned and lost her whiskers. Thanks again! Snug Harbor

snug harbor is offline   Reply With Quote