"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Hi.......

I recently started doing some crockpot cooking and am in the market for a new crockpot (see my post below)........I have an older Rival 4 qt and while I've had excellent results, the 4 qt is too small for my needs.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research on crockpots, and from what I've seen the Rival Smart Pots have gotten very mixed reviews. I read all the reviews on Amazon and many many people had the same problem.

Just thought I'd share that. The one I want to get is thw West Bend 6 Qt Versaility cooker (which got good reviews on Amazon). The great thing about this one is that the vessel can go on the stove for browning the meat. Cook's Illustrated gave the Versatility Cooker an excellent review. While they gave the Rival smart pot a good review, they said that the timer is an unnecessary feature.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions. Cook's reviewed a few others......you have to subscribe to cook's site to get some of the information, so if you need to know anything else, let me know and I'll go look.

i'm not on all that much these days, so feel free to email me........

runninduo@socal.rr.com

Old 01-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

The last time I owned a crock pot I also had a problem with it being "too hot". You shouldn't reallly be able to boil water in your crock pot. Now my stove has a setting that I call "crock pot" so I don't own one at all. But in my younger days this thing was a life-saver in being able to throw stuff in it, plug it in, and go to work, coming home to a great poached chicken or stew or soup. But I think quality control has gone down. When I owned one, I could fill it almost to the rim and not have anything but maybe some condensation when I picked up the lid. It may be that you used to high a setting, but I suspect you need to return the thing.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook

A lot of people are having the same problems with the Rival 'Smart Pots' - if you look at the customer comments about them on Amazon.com you will see...... I know this because I was considering buying one a couple of months ago, and I always use Amazon.com as a source of customer information before I buy most anything.

Paint.