"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Mcnerd, have you made the ice packs (like for injuries)? I'm curious what the ratio alcohol to water is.
I have not tried it, but the ratio would be 2:1 Water to Rubbing Alcohol from one I understand.

To make a water pouch using your FoodSaver you need to raise the unit about 3"-4" off the counter so you can keep the bag of water as vertical as possible. Use the Seal Only setting.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Seal used paint brushes to keep the paint from hardening. If you will be painting with the same color then you can just open the bag and start painting right away with a soft brush.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Head Chef

it is also great for marinating meat in
I have the attachment for doing jars funny story when got my first one and we try doing marshmellows and put them in a jar and put the vac on and they also disappeared, not thinking that they were made up of mostly air, it gave us a quick laugh. then the daughter 10 0r 12yrs at the time - decided to bag dorittos. I had nice crumb topping.

I have put daughter baby items in and sealed. great if you do alot water activies to hold first aid etc, camping to keep matches dry if you have to use after a rain when everything is damp. uses are endless.

anyways love them. i think im on my 3rd also. I wear them out.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have the attachment for doing jars funny story when got my first one and we try doing marshmellows and put them in a jar and put the vac on and they also disappeared, not thinking that they were made up of mostly air, it gave us a quick laugh. then the daughter 10 0r 12yrs at the time - decided to bag dorittos. I had nice crumb topping.
This is where the canisters come in really handy. I have stored chips, flour, sugar, grains, cereal, bread, and many other easily crushable or often used items in canisters and it works very well.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Head Chef

Beware if you seal paper items in the bags. Sometimes if they are in sunlight, moisture
will form inside the bag from condensation. Not a good thing for paper!
(I haven't tried this with a food saver bag, but it can happen with your general
ziplock and sandwich baggies.)
Also, over a long time, since the plastic isn't archival (free from known chemicals that might
interact with the paper), your keepsake might be discolored or damaged...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Beware if you seal paper items in the bags. Sometimes if they are in sunlight, moisture
will form inside the bag from condensation. Not a good thing for paper!
(I haven't tried this with a food saver bag, but it can happen with your general
ziplock and sandwich baggies.)
Also, over a long time, since the plastic isn't archival (free from known chemicals that might
interact with the paper), your keepsake might be discolored or damaged...
thanks GF, for the info.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Head Chef

We took a short trip with our grandkids and brought along several wet paper towels sealed in a FS bag. When we needed to use them, I realized that they are sealed in untearable bags. Be sure to bring along something that will cut the bag open. I had to rip it open with my car keys.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Head Chef

Aaaah, that's where the Reynolds "Handi-Vac" bags become practical since they have a ziplock opening, and then can be resealed over and over. Then you get the new Ziploc vacuum sealer which is totally manual and light weight for carrying in backpacks or on trips. And yes they will seal a Reynolds bag I've found.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I have not tried it, but the ratio would be 2:1 Water to Rubbing Alcohol from one I understand.

To make a water pouch using your FoodSaver you need to raise the unit about 3"-4" off the counter so you can keep the bag of water as vertical as possible. Use the Seal Only setting.
Thank you for the information. I take my lunch in the car with me so need ice bags to keep it cold. I"m not the best about rememebering to put them back in the freezer for the next day so having a stock pile of flexible ice bags would be great! Also, thank you for the information on bagging just water. We keep emergency kits in our cars during the winter and I would prefer to bag water rather than buy 12 bottles that never get used. I know they will freeze so I'll have to play with how much air to leave in the bag.

DramaQueen ... I make individual sausage / cheese snacks for our lunches and ran into the same thing! Now, I put a small cut into the edge where a tear can start. They rip right open. Just be sure you don't cut into the pouch itself (did that too with a few of the first ones!).
Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
Cook

Awesome ideas everyone, this is fantastic!!!