Do you use your FoodSaver for anything else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
How about some tips on other uses for Foodsaver besides food ?
How about preventing silverware from being tarnished ?
Preserve a cherished memento or valuable magazine ? Collectors items?
For moms with infants and toddlers, how about sealing a wet washcloth , for a trip?
How about single portions of snacks for taking along on a trip?
How about sealing an ice bag and make it reusable ?

Right now my Foodsaver is propping the door of my freezer open while it defrosts. :wacko:
OK, not really ;). Looks like you covered all bases LC. I haven't used mine for anything except sealing foods, but I remember the commercials touting survival packages and such, like for boating or anything you want to preserve items for future use. Not a bad idea.

We went to a college football game this fall and the forcast was for rain. To save space in my little purse, I sealed 2 ponchoes and a few folded paper towels. I was surprised how little/thin it actually got!

Oooh, thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my FS V3840
last night and I find this most intriguing! I'm pretty sure I'll get my monies worth with if I only used it with food, but these ideas are great as well. And I'm open to exploring my options!

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and see what else I can do with it.

Hmmm....I was just thinking, as a dog owner (or rather, being owned by my dog -lol) I could seal treats and food for her when we take long trips to keep them from going stale. Let's see what else I can come up with. :idea:

Oooh, thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my FS V3840
last night and I find this most intriguing! I'm pretty sure I'll get my monies worth with if I only used it with food, but these ideas are great as well. And I'm open to exploring my options!

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and see what else I can do with it.

Hmmm....I was just thinking, as a dog owner (or rather, being owned by my dog -lol) I could seal treats and food for her when we take long trips to keep them from going stale. Let's see what else I can come up with. :idea:

That's the model I have too, did not order thru tv commercial, in fact , never saw the commercial . I did my research online. ;)

That's the model I have too, did not order thru tv commercial, in fact , never saw the commercial . I did my research online. ;)

Yes, I've been reading about them online for a while now and began drooling. Initially I wanted the V2460 after seeing it at Kitchen Collections...but then I saw this one and purely by chance I saw this infomercial. I'm usually not an infomercial customer, but after drooling over this for so long when I saw it this morning I knew I had to have it!

I have never really used it for anything other than food items. But you could use it to seal things to keep dry. (Like going on a camping trip or something like that.) Food is about all I need it for.

I'm on my third one over a lot of years of usage. Could not live without it. It is used to package all my first aid items to keep it clean, waterproof, and fresher for longer. Same goes for items in the car and garage. It is also used for items in my 72-hour emergency pack so that everything is protected from the elements.

Pint bags were were used to seal water into emergency water supplies.

Bags of rice, flour and beans are routinely vacuum-sealed for long-term storage and prevent bug infestation.

Additionally I have the Reynolds "Handi-Vac" that uses Ziplock bags for added convenience and also the new Ziplock vacuum sealer that is non-electric which I keep in the emergency pack.

Mcnerd, have you made the ice packs (like for injuries)? I'm curious what the ratio alcohol to water is.

See - now you've got me started....

Doggie treats won't get infested with ickies in the SAM bags.

Camera equipment remains dust and water-proof

For kiddies, wet wash-cloths for outings. For emergencies I freeze a wet washcloth in a bag and it acts like an ice pack which can be conformed to the injury - better than frozen peas!

Wool yarn is impervious to age and infestations when sealed. And any yarn ages better when protected from air.

Small bottles of paint stored in a bag and sealed, don't dry out.

You can create our own "less than an ounce" travel goodies - much much cheaper!

The bags are really tough so a little emergency kit will survive your purse for ages.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure I use them for more!

Mcnerd, have you made the ice packs (like for injuries)? I'm curious what the ratio alcohol to water is.
I have not tried it, but the ratio would be 2:1 Water to Rubbing Alcohol from one I understand.

To make a water pouch using your FoodSaver you need to raise the unit about 3"-4" off the counter so you can keep the bag of water as vertical as possible. Use the Seal Only setting.

Seal used paint brushes to keep the paint from hardening. If you will be painting with the same color then you can just open the bag and start painting right away with a soft brush.

it is also great for marinating meat in
I have the attachment for doing jars funny story when got my first one and we try doing marshmellows and put them in a jar and put the vac on and they also disappeared, not thinking that they were made up of mostly air, it gave us a quick laugh. then the daughter 10 0r 12yrs at the time - decided to bag dorittos. I had nice crumb topping.

I have put daughter baby items in and sealed. great if you do alot water activies to hold first aid etc, camping to keep matches dry if you have to use after a rain when everything is damp. uses are endless.

anyways love them. i think im on my 3rd also. I wear them out.

I have the attachment for doing jars funny story when got my first one and we try doing marshmellows and put them in a jar and put the vac on and they also disappeared, not thinking that they were made up of mostly air, it gave us a quick laugh. then the daughter 10 0r 12yrs at the time - decided to bag dorittos. I had nice crumb topping.
This is where the canisters come in really handy. I have stored chips, flour, sugar, grains, cereal, bread, and many other easily crushable or often used items in canisters and it works very well.

Beware if you seal paper items in the bags. Sometimes if they are in sunlight, moisture
will form inside the bag from condensation. Not a good thing for paper!
(I haven't tried this with a food saver bag, but it can happen with your general
ziplock and sandwich baggies.)
Also, over a long time, since the plastic isn't archival (free from known chemicals that might
interact with the paper), your keepsake might be discolored or damaged...

Beware if you seal paper items in the bags. Sometimes if they are in sunlight, moisture
will form inside the bag from condensation. Not a good thing for paper!
(I haven't tried this with a food saver bag, but it can happen with your general
ziplock and sandwich baggies.)
Also, over a long time, since the plastic isn't archival (free from known chemicals that might
interact with the paper), your keepsake might be discolored or damaged...

thanks GF, for the info.

We took a short trip with our grandkids and brought along several wet paper towels sealed in a FS bag. When we needed to use them, I realized that they are sealed in untearable bags. Be sure to bring along something that will cut the bag open. I had to rip it open with my car keys. :LOL:

Aaaah, that's where the Reynolds "Handi-Vac" bags become practical since they have a ziplock opening, and then can be resealed over and over. Then you get the new Ziploc vacuum sealer which is totally manual and light weight for carrying in backpacks or on trips. And yes they will seal a Reynolds bag I've found.

I have not tried it, but the ratio would be 2:1 Water to Rubbing Alcohol from one I understand.

To make a water pouch using your FoodSaver you need to raise the unit about 3"-4" off the counter so you can keep the bag of water as vertical as possible. Use the Seal Only setting.

Thank you for the information. I take my lunch in the car with me so need ice bags to keep it cold. I"m not the best about rememebering to put them back in the freezer for the next day so having a stock pile of flexible ice bags would be great! Also, thank you for the information on bagging just water. We keep emergency kits in our cars during the winter and I would prefer to bag water rather than buy 12 bottles that never get used. I know they will freeze so I'll have to play with how much air to leave in the bag.

DramaQueen ... I make individual sausage / cheese snacks for our lunches and ran into the same thing! Now, I put a small cut into the edge where a tear can start. They rip right open. Just be sure you don't cut into the pouch itself (did that too with a few of the first ones!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom