Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
robgrave,
Maybe Consumers Report has a link where they show the results of their tests? -In case you are interested or if you want to know how hard you can push your unit-
I was curious about your comment on the accessories, KA website doesn't show anything. Perhaps is worth to give them a call, sometimes the accessories fit but they are incorrectly called in a catalog.

Hi wysiwig --

CR requires a subscription in order to access their online product evaluations. It's only six bucks for a month's worth of access, but I've been-there-done-that twice already (for other products) and decided not to do it again. Except for car evaluations, I'm not so impressed that they are worth it. The user-evaluations at Amazon.com were very helpful, as were comments at the KA forum.

Anyway, my KFP720 unit is plenty powerful, believe me. The toughest job I've given it so far is mixing flour, butter, and sugar into a crumble topping, and it did it effortlessly (and with great results). There is a button for continuous control operation, but almost always I use the pulse control, so as not to over-process. I think the motor can be pushed well beyond whatever I'm likely to ask of it.

The accessories for the unit are listed at the online store -- left column at the top, "Attachments and Accessories". There are no slicer-shredder discs other than the one provided, which is OK with me, but others have expressed disappointment.

I don't know, if they came up with another disc option, I might go for it, but then again, maybe not. As it is, the 2mm slicer produces wafer thin slices that are ideal for pizza toppings, and I don't know what else (potato chips?). But really, the extra-thin slices are the most difficult to get evenly with a chef's knife; otherwise, the knife option is the more convenient one for me anyway. I don't need a power slicer, really, for general purposes.

There is a juice-press accessory available, but at 40 bucks it is pricey, and I doubt I'd ever make much use of it in any case.

Bottom line: I'm pleased with the unit, expect it to last longer than I do :cool:. No reservations at all about recommending it as a mid-size unit.

Last edited:
I just came across this posting and had to put in my thoughts on this as I've been looking around for a food processor myself. From what I've been reading, information on the Cuisanart hasn't been the greatest and actually it's been saying to avoid it because the comments are coming back you'll spend more money on it than you've purchased by the time it's all said and done because of breakage.

I really don't know much on Kitchen Aid because I've not read a lot on the name. What I had been reading a lot on price wise was something called Hamilton Beach as they're reasonable and not something that will eat your wallet alive if you don't have a lot of money to spend; I surely don't as I'm a graduate student and my husband is paying all the bills until I finish my graduate work in the spring.

At any rate, I did weigh the differences between a few food processors and see what could possibly make or break the deal between purchasing them. I'm actually going to Wal-mart tonight and will take a look to see what they have for food processors because I think that I'm going to invest in one soon.

I will be in touch with a decision should I decide on something specific. :)

Sue

Try this website; Reviews from Epinions. Go to Home & Garden and click on Small Appliances, then click on Food Processors.

There are a whole slew of different brands and sizes there, and you can also read the reviews on some of them. It should help you make up your mind and help you make a smart choice.

I looked at the site and wasn't that tickled with it. I went to consumer reports however and came across a nice review of them. I think what I'm going to do when I get the chance is stick with manual for now and eventually go with a Kitchen Aid food processor as I'm wanting to invest in a Kitchen Aid Artisian stand up mixer. I feel that in doing that it will stay with the set. My mom always told me to stick with a name you trust. :chef: I remember seeing the KA brand in my family since I was a young child in my great grandmother's kitchen 30 plus years ago watching her cook Italian meals from her home country. :) Many memories there, not sure what happen to the product but I remember her using it and she definately put it through some uses for sure.

Last edited:
My mom had an HB stand mixer.

She never had a food processor that I know of. She would cut up stuff manually.

But yes, you're right! K'Aid is the one that I'd go with and am presently using.

I imagine that, like you said, you have to look around and see which is the better one. Try this address also; http://www.kitchenaid.com.

My mom had an HB stand mixer. She never had a food processor that I know of. She would cut up stuff manually. But yes, you're right! K'Aid is the one that I'd go with and am presently using. I imagine that, like you said, you have to look around and see which is the better one. Try this address also; http://www.kitchenaid.com.

I thought about that as I've seen it a few times on TV. I actually considered going through Amazon when I see a discounted rate on the Artisian mixers again.

;)

There is also another K'Aid website that sells referbished (like new) mixers and food processors, but they only have about a 6-month warranty on them.

Don't think I'd like that. Target, Macy's Kmart and Kohl's usually run week-long sales on K"Aid countertop appliances. In fact, I think Kohl's has one on sale this week. Don't know if it's the Artisan though. But I would assume that ANY K'Aid Stand Mixer is a good one.

Last edited:
Great!! Happy holiday cooking! I know that you'll be quite happy with it.

I was about to tell you that Kohl's has the Classic-Plus on sale this week in their flier.

Great!! Happy holiday cooking! I know that you'll be quite happy with it.

I was about to tell you that Kohl's has the Classic-Plus on sale this week in their flier.

Thanks. My hubby proceeded to tell me the other night, you have something on the way and I said, uh whats that? He says, well it's something you've been wanting and I picked the black one as I know you would want that color to go with a theme for a new kitchen. Then he says, it'll be here before Christmas. :LOL: I'm happy that I have my new toy coming as this is what I've been wanting and will wait patiently.

SueBear et al,
Cooks Illustrated also assessed food processors and mixers.
The KA food processor was considered top choice, specially if you are not planning to use it for mixing dough (the Cuisinart was better at this task)
The KA stand mixer 600 series was the top choice, the Artisant also had a good review.
Cooks Illustrated offers a free 14 day trial for their website. You can sign up and check what you are interested for free.

Last edited:
The top-of-the-line K'Aid food processor is also availible in onyx black to match your new K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer!

Last edited:
If you can afford it, get the one with the wide mouth feed tube. It's much better and it accommodates whole fruits and veggies with minimal sectioning.

It has a 12-cup capacity work bowl.

The downside to that is that it's pretty expensive and it costs about $300.00. Ouch!! But you'll get a whole lot of accessories and stuff with it and you won't regret it. It's a very good machine! And it comes with three different size work bowls.

But I think it's well worth it because I just HATE those machines with wimpy small feed tubes!

And here's a pic of it featured at Macy's website; Go to macys.com, type and click food processors in the search box, scrool down until you see the K'Aid Custom Metallic Food Processer and click on it for details. But it's in silver.

Last edited:
The smaller feed-tube notwithstanding, the 7 cup (with mini-bowl) size is a very convenient appliance to use, and to keep permanently on the counter-top. The larger (12 cup) model is almost twice the weight (20 vs. 10.6 lbs.) -- making it somewhat cumbersome for moving about. Of course, if you need the extra capacity, the larger one will be the choice, but I can't imagine why one or two people would find the 7 cup inadequate. And it is much cheaper, of course.

Re the feed-tube: I find that I don't use it much except when slicing/shredding (i.e., with the disc accessory), when it must be used. Most of the time, I'll place foodstuff directly into the bowl by removing the lid, and then add smaller amounts as necessary through the feed tube. I'm still learning, but really, things have been working out very well so far.

It all depends on whether the individual cooks a lot, likes to entertain, cooks meals ahead or simply likes to get one in antisipation for the now present holiday season.

I think in both types, there IS a smaller opening for things like carrots, cucumbers, etc..

Hmm, not sure about the idea of putting out that kind of cash for a FP to be honest as I'm not a commercial chef, just someone who likes quality items. After reading, the KA food processor should do exactly what I want and not cost an arm to purchase plus match the KA Artisan which I am getting.

Since it isn't as if I'm starting a business up and have equity $300 is way out of my range for payment on something so minor. Of course, now if it was a Viking stove on the other hand, let me know who the dealer is and I'll visit his showcase with my truck. ;) You cannot get quality of that kind for less than $2,000 these days at least from what I have looked at with the professional grade.

SueBear,
I found a brand new -not recondicioned- KA food processor KFPW760 (Wide mouth, 12 cup plus additional 10 and 4 cups bowls) for $100 at a local Home Goods store. The actual cost of the appliance will be $80 since KA is sending a $20 refund on this model.
Be patient and shop around, you may be able to find similar bargain.

Hmm, not sure about the idea of putting out that kind of cash for a FP to be honest as I'm not a commercial chef, just someone who likes quality items. After reading, the KA food processor should do exactly what I want and not cost an arm to purchase plus match the KA Artisan which I am getting.

Since it isn't as if I'm starting a business up and have equity $300 is way out of my range for payment on something so minor. Of course, now if it was a Viking stove on the other hand, let me know who the dealer is and I'll visit his showcase with my truck. ;) You cannot get quality of that kind for less than $2,000 these days at least from what I have looked at with the professional grade.

There IS a smaller K'Aid FP that is in the onyx black color. And I saw it in Macy's yesterday. But I can't remember if it's a 7-cup or a 9-cup machine.

But in any case, K'Aid IS good.

Back
Top Bottom