"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now that fridge looks disgustingly healthy, CG! Obviously, your use of photographic lighting is much better than mine...
We DO like our fruits and veggies, Dawg. Plus, I'm not buying any protein right now...the freezer (unseen) is filled to the brim with various land and sea yummies. No room right now for ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just got done removing 5 pounds of magnets off my fridge...
Notice that the front of my fridge isn't visible.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
At least you weren't talking back to your fridge, Caslon. Or were you?
I swear, it mocked me. Gurgling bubbly weird kind of noises.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Notice that the front of my fridge isn't visible.
Those are just the ones I kept! Used an empty yogurt container to put them in for packing.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

My upstairs fridge has a pound of shrimp (shelled, deveined) for the chickens. It was left in the commercial fridge too long, still good for the chickens. I swear, they eat better than I do some days.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #25
Head Chef

All I can say is you people all have huge refrigerators. Ours is a normal sized one, the only size that could fit in the kitchen without a complete remodel - and all that two people normally need anyway. It's usually jammed to the hilt, yet when we need to we can always pull out a 6-pack of beer to make room for something more. When it gets too full we know it's time for a cleaning.

A week ago I had to make sloppy joe filling for 200 people for a benefit dinner - 36 pounds of ground beef - and after thawing it on the counter for several hours, it all had to fit in the fridge overnight. Wish that this thread had been active then, because that would have been the photo to take. Two shelves filled with one pound packages of ground beef (the beef was all donated by several different people). Of course overnight the packages leaked so the next morning we did a rather compete refrigerator cleaning, including washing off most of the jars and bottles, pulling shelves and bins - lots of fun.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
All I can say is you people all have huge refrigerators. Ours is a normal sized one, the only size that could fit in the kitchen without a complete remodel - and all that two people normally need anyway. It's usually jammed to the hilt, yet when we need to we can always pull out a 6-pack of beer to make room for something more. When it gets too full we know it's time for a cleaning.

A week ago I had to make sloppy joe filling for 200 people for a benefit dinner - 36 pounds of ground beef - and after thawing it on the counter for several hours, it all had to fit in the fridge overnight. Wish that this thread had been active then, because that would have been the photo to take. Two shelves filled with one pound packages of ground beef (the beef was all donated by several different people). Of course overnight the packages leaked so the next morning we did a rather compete refrigerator cleaning, including washing off most of the jars and bottles, pulling shelves and bins - lots of fun.
You're lucky no one got sick. Meat should be thawed in the refrigerator. Our food safety regulations require that you cannot thaw meat at room temp, nor can you have the ingredients out of the fridge for more than 2 hours. I guess since it was for a benefit, the "food police" didn't check on how it was prepared or the holding temp. When I am shopping, I bring coolers with ice packs and make sure I get the ingredients to the commercial kitchen under 2 hours. If traffic is bad, I will make several trips back to the commercial kitchen.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My upstairs fridge has a pound of shrimp (shelled, deveined) for the chickens. It was left in the commercial fridge too long, still good for the chickens. I swear, they eat better than I do some days.
You must have been talking to Spike. Teddy gets roast beef, Spike gets hot dogs. Go figure. Last night Teddy had clam chowder made with fresh clams. I got the broth.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
You're lucky no one got sick. Meat should be thawed in the refrigerator. Our food safety regulations require that you cannot thaw meat at room temp, nor can you have the ingredients out of the fridge for more than 2 hours. I guess since it was for a benefit, the "food police" didn't check on how it was prepared or the holding temp. When I am shopping, I bring coolers with ice packs and make sure I get the ingredients to the commercial kitchen under 2 hours. If traffic is bad, I will make several trips back to the commercial kitchen.
Thanks for such a friendly answer. Especially since you have no idea how long it was on the counter thawing. I'm glad most folks here are more thoughtful.

Commercial kitchen? Where would I find such a thing in a town of 350 souls? The replies some of you people give have nothing to do with how real people have to go about things.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
36 pounds of ground beef is going to take a long time to thaw on a counter.

I thaw ground beef partially on the counter all the time. It takes quite a long time for the outside of that ground beef to get close to room temperature.

I think this is a case where common sense and checking how thawed the meat is works better than following some preset rules. Of course those rules have to be followed in a commercial kitchen, but I don't think they have to be followed to the letter in a home setting.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:

I have thought of you often since I have been away from here. After I finally got my divorce and all that and moved on with life.....I am currently dating a farm boy and he has chickens... I have grown to love them and love giving them treats but it has always made me think of you and your stories!

Tags
ham