Gas range burns too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch1719

Assistant Cook
I got a new gas range (have been using electric up until now) and one big difference I notice is that it's very difficult to maintain a gentle simmer, even on the smallest burner at 5000 BTU. When I cook rice on the smallest burner (1 cup of rice and maybe 2 cups of water), it boils over unless I stir it ever minute or so. Is this normal for a gas range? Or did the installers not do something right? I saw something on Amazon called a hear diffuser, and am wondering if I should buy one.

What brand is your stove? With the 5000BTU burner does it boil over with the flame set to the lowest level?

If that's the case, your stove is defective. Call for warranty service. It needs to be adjusted.

No, in all my experience with gas stoves that's not normal. I'd start with questions to the customer service department of the stove.
If you purchase a flame diffuser be sure you don't buy one with a handle so you aren't limited to the size pot you may choose.
This is the one I've used for years. It comes in handy for a long cook with a big dutch oven.
https://www.amazon.com/8-Heat-Maste...&sr=8-4&keywords=flame+diffuser+for+gas+stove

Last edited:
What brand is your stove? With the 5000BTU burner does it boil over with the flame set to the lowest level?

If that's the case, your stove is defective. Call for warranty service. It needs to be adjusted.

Yes, this happens with the heat on the lowest level. It's a Samsung, model #NX58H5600. It was rated on Consumer Reports as one of the top gas ranges, which is why I bought it (plus the $700 price tag).

If it's adjusted, will that mean the high heat will be lower? That would be disappointing, because I feel that when I'm boiling water, it doesn't boil nearly as strongly as it did with my old electric range.

I've had gas ranges most of my life and have learned to accommodate their quirks. Your experience with rice is a prime example. One of the first things I did was to purchase a flame tamer/heat diffuser. It allows me to cook things, like rice, and to low simmer when necessary.

Mine is a thick, round metal slab. I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it but it looks almost exactly like this. In fact, I'm on the verge of getting another one because, occasionally I'm cooking more than one food that requires gentle attention.

I disagree with buying a flame diffuser to compensate for a defective stove that's still under warranty.

Call customer service and have all your burners checked and adjusted as well as the oven. Otherwise, you'll spend the next dozen years doing things that should be unnecessary to accommodate your stove's failures.

If the burners are properly adjusted, they will all work as designed. Yes, electric burners generally get hotter than gas and can boil a large pot of water faster.

Last edited:
I disagree with buying a flame diffuser to compensate for a defective stove that's still under warranty.

Call customer service and have all your burners checked and adjusted as well as the oven. Otherwise, you'll spend the next dozen years doing things that should be unnecessary to accommodate your stove's failures.

If the burners are properly adjusted, they will all work as designed. Yes, electric burners generally get hotter than gas and can boil a large pot of water faster.

Agree with Andy. A new gas stove should not do that; it needs adjustment.

I also suggested calling customer service. A flame diffuser certainly should not be required for being able to cook rice. My comment was simply to state that it comes in handy for a long cook with a big dutch oven.

My own personal view is that Samsung has had their share of hiccups with their products. Washers/dryers with issues, along with their phone challenges. Perhaps their stoves have some problems as well. I'd check with the company for sure.

Yes, this happens with the heat on the lowest level. It's a Samsung, model #NX58H5600. It was rated on Consumer Reports as one of the top gas ranges, which is why I bought it (plus the $700 price tag).

If it's adjusted, will that mean the high heat will be lower? That would be disappointing, because I feel that when I'm boiling water, it doesn't boil nearly as strongly as it did with my old electric range.

If the pot is boiling over its getting to much heat.

If you have the burner on high and the pot is boiling over then turn down the flame.

After the water has come to a boil you only need a small amount of heat to cook the rice.

Check with Samsung first. As stated previously, if the stove is still under warranty, then it should be for the responsibility of the manufacturer to correct it. If you can't get any satisfaction from them, then at least you can try using the diffuser until they come up with a solution to your problem.

As Katie H. stated, Samsung has been experiencing a lot of problems with their appliances lately. Sounds like they hired a couple of new engineers that were looking to cut costs in manufacturing.

I have had gas and electric over the years. I do prefer gas, but have learned over the years how to adjust for both. I have even had a gas stove with a "simmer" burner. That one was a blessing.

Go call Samsung.

My experience has always been to not stir the rice once it starts to boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer. And then stir once put spoon on top of pan. It shouldn't boil over or stick. I also put a lid on my pot of rice only because I can lower the heat to a simmer. Therefor I don't need to use the wooden spoon trick.

I've been making rice in the microwave for years. Put rice, water or broth, salt and any seasonings in a microwave-safe dish. Cook on high for 7 minutes. Stir (don't skip this step). Cook on high for 8 minutes. Done.

Back
Top Bottom