"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Red face Hobby or Mental Illness

OK, so I think I have gone around the bend if ya know what I mean.

Ya see it started out with just one Dormeyer Silver Chef. I bought it off ebay because it was exactly like the one my mother used for most of my life to make her wonderful cookies and cakes. So it would be like a keepsake sort of thing right? Well then I bought a second one because, well, it was cheap.

I already had a 5 qt KA and I saw this Kenwood for sale on a closeout. So I bought that too. So now I had 4 stand mixers. I decided I really needed a bigger mixer so I bought a 6 qt KA. That made five, but it doesn't mean I am a bad person, right? I fell in love with the KA 3B and just had to have one so now I have two. I liked the 4C so now I have one of those.

So the tally at this point is:

1 KA Pro 6

1 KA UltraPower

2 KA 3B

1 KA 4C

1 Kenwood Chef 700

2 Dormeyer Silver Chef’s

I started to really like the design of the Sunbeam Mixmaster and decided to get a couple if I could. Well I am the lucky sort and pretty soon I had a few Mixmaster’s:

Well four to be precise:

1 SB Model 4J

1 SB Model 3

1 SB Model 7

1 SB model 10

Also during this period I found a 1950’s Kenwood Chef 701 in GREAT condition so I had to have it and that HB Model G was just calling to me:

So now I am beginning to think this is bordering on obsession but I figure it is harmless right?

SO If I count right, at this point I have 14 in house and I forgot to count the other HB, a brand new Eclectrics (a poor mans KA) so really 15.

I have on their way to me right now:

1 SB Model 3 with juicer, two original bowls, the original warranty letter, and catalog

1 Magic Maid with bowl

1 GE 3 beater 149B 3

If I am counting right, that makes 18 mixers.

SO my question here: is this a Hobby or a Mental Illness?

Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Master Chef

your LUCKY not crazy, to have all of that!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
sure hope you have a realllllly big kitchen. :) :)
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, if you acknowledge that you reason for purchasing these mixers is because you want them as part of a stand mixer collection, then it's a hobby - especially if you never use them.

If you are buying all these mixers because you really NEED each one, seek professional help!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Hmmmmm, I have the same problem with watercolor paints, sketch books and journals....if I painted/wrote every day for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to use them all up LOL

...Now I've started collecting cookware & tablecloths....

I class it as an obsessive-compulsive disorder

Paint.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

You are either a collector or taking a round-a-bout route to being a professional baker. But fear not, collectors I have known have litterally 100s of teakettles, or salt and pepper shakers, or whiskey bottles, or hubcaps, etc. I personally like saute pans, dutch ovens, antique books, and cds. Anyone for glass telephone pole insulators?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
You are either a collector or taking a round-a-bout route to being a professional baker. But fear not, collectors I have known have litterally 100s of teakettles, or salt and pepper shakers, or whiskey bottles, or hubcaps, etc. I personally like saute pans, dutch ovens, antique books, and cds. Anyone for glass telephone pole insulators?
Do some searching on the internet. Some of those glass insulators, if they're OLD, and possibly marked with the name of the electric company, can be worth $$$.

You all think that's bad? I've invested a couple grand into electronic equipment and accessory gear to go and dig pennies out of parks.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

At least your collection doesn't take up too much space...somehow, I have developed a fetish for rocking chairs (fifteen at last count, but who's counting!)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i sure hope you don't have any long tailed cats tootstl.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I have come to realize that my wife is an enabler. While looking on Ebay this morning, she goaded me in to two more bids. sigh No wonder I love that woman!