"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

I need a new dishwasher

Our dishwasher bit the dust the other day so I am going to replace it this weekend. I have never bought a dishwasher before so I could use some direction. What things are important to look for? What are brands to look at and brands to stay away from? What features are a must have and what are pointless? Any other advice you could give would be appreciated as well. We would like to stay on the inexpensive side as this is an unplanned purchase and money is something we are trying to save right now.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I recommend a DW with a sanitizing cycle. It heats the water to a hotter temp, around 195 F, to sanitize the contents.

Ours has a touchpad rather than a dial to set the functions. It's a Kenmore Elite. It works great. I've had it for 10 years with no problems.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Excellent. Thanks Andy. I think they one we have now (which we have always hated) is a Whirlpool so I am probably going to stay away from those. I have heard good things about the Kenmore Elite in the little bit of research I have done.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Master Chef

Look for a tall tub model. They generally will hold more dishes. Also stay away from any model that has the sprayer come up in the center. I've had two Maytags now over the past 15 years (second one just this year) and they have the spray arm under each rack. I rarely have problems with things stopping the arms from spraying the dishes well. Also make sure it has the food disposal options, Not all DW have that so pieces of food that are not rinsed off will get sloshed onto your dishes.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks jabbur. I did not realize that not all of them have the food disposal option. That is definitely something I want.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Mine has that as well. I have found that sometimes, solid food particles don't make it down the drain and end up spattered around the insides of some of the glasses and dishes. As a result, I rinse off food particles before washing.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Kitchen Aid used to be good...I owned one that lasted for many trouble free years.....I hear not so good now....Personally I wouldn't buy anything that had a GE logo on it...Have Kenmore now..suggest Large Capacity...Taller items can go on both top and bottom...I would stay away from Whirlpool Brand too...Even though the parent company makes just about all brands now...Except LG...another brand to avoid........HTH

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks UB.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quiet! The stainless interior models are quieter.

Also look for one that has a one piece door instead of a hinge seam a few inches above toes kick. That seam catches dirt.

I second the food grinder options. Some really slick ones have controls on top edge of door.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have been using a Bosch 300 Series Evolution, $636.00, for 3 months now and what I like about it is the stainless steel tub, extra tall tub, almost silent, uses about 1 tablespoon of detergent and very little water and gets dishes noticeably cleaner than the Kitchen Aide, has the capacity to do a half load with even less detergent and water, even though I have not used that feature yet, it has a split silverware basket so one part can be removed to provide more space for other items, the racks can be adjusted to custom design the space needed, and it has split neat little shelves on the top rack to hold large flat items like spatulas. The only possible down side is it takes pert near two hours to run a load, but the dishes, pots and pans are extremely clean and shiny. Did I mention the machine makes very little noise?