"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Sugar Free Chocolate Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain gelatin
2 1/2 cups low fat milk
1/2 cup Nestle Quik Sugar Free chocolate drink mix
1 cup drained yogurt (the solid half of 2 cups yogurt strained overnight)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash salt
Directions:
Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup milk. Heat in a small saucepan until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Place saucepan in another bowl of cold or ice water to cool mixture to room temperature. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor. Add remaining milk, Quik, yogurt, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth. Cover. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to freeze. Blend for a few seconds before pouring into the ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for freezing.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticKatt
I am the same way I would love a nice one that I could make a lot of ice cream in but for now this will have to do. and I am thinking make a batch put it in container and put bowl back in freezer make second batch second day. One batch a day is more then enough for 2 people.
My 1 1/2 qt. canister makes ice cream almost as fast I can eat and way faster than I should eat it.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

I have both the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker accessory and a Cuisinart Yogurt and Ice Cream machine and both make fantastic ice cream. It is very important that you freeze the bowls of these appliances for at least 24 hours to make sure the ice cream freezes up the way it should when the dashers are spinning. The ice cream will be ready in about 25 minutes but will be at the "soft serve" stage. You can eat it that way if you like, but to cure it to the hard stage, like the ice cream should be, you must put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours. I keep mine in the freezer for 6 hours and it's ready. Put the ice cream from the machine bowl into a plastic container with a cover. Lay a piece of Saran or Cling Wrap OVER THE ICE CREAM, not the top of the container. If the wrap is snuggly over the ice cream you will not get ice crystals forming on the top.
For some great recipes, I love Ben & Jerry's Dessert and Ice cream book. There are some good books on the market that feature sugar free ice cream so look for them at a good book store. And here's a tip: When making chocolate ice cream use a good quality chocolate. I buy chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate from Trader Joe's. Makes great ice cream.

Homemade ice cream is great because you can make any flavor you want and according to the recipes you can add other ingredients to suit your taste. I haven't had store bought ice cream in over a year. My favorite is B & J's Coffee Toffee Crunch. To die for!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
I have both the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker accessory and a Cuisinart Yogurt and Ice Cream machine and both make fantastic ice cream. It is very important that you freeze the bowls of these appliances for at least 24 hours to make sure the ice cream freezes up the way it should when the dashers are spinning. The ice cream will be ready in about 25 minutes but will be at the "soft serve" stage. You can eat it that way if you like, but to cure it to the hard stage, like the ice cream should be, you must put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours. I keep mine in the freezer for 6 hours and it's ready. Put the ice cream from the machine bowl into a plastic container with a cover. Lay a piece of Saran or Cling Wrap OVER THE ICE CREAM, not the top of the container. If the wrap is snuggly over the ice cream you will not get ice crystals forming on the top.
For some great recipes, I love Ben & Jerry's Dessert and Ice cream book. There are some good books on the market that feature sugar free ice cream so look for them at a good book store. And here's a tip: When making chocolate ice cream use a good quality chocolate. I buy chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate from Trader Joe's. Makes great ice cream.

Homemade ice cream is great because you can make any flavor you want and according to the recipes you can add other ingredients to suit your taste. I haven't had store bought ice cream in over a year. My favorite is B & J's Coffee Toffee Crunch. To die for!!!

Yes, to die for!!!

I already do the Saran wrap thing. And yes, it DOES help keep crystals from forming. Not only that, It also helps the ice cream stay fresher longer, so that it doesn't lose its flavor and taste and end up becoming rancid.

Where can I get the B&J recipe book? I'd like to get it for the low-cal sugar-free recipes.

~Corey123.