ISO Make-shift Roaster Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
For the life of me, I can't find the flat rack that sits in the bottom of my roasting pan. (Although I do have a hunch that DH, in one of his frenzied basement cleanings/organizings, "reorganized" it into the trash.:mad: ) It's not in the budget to go buy a new one right now so I'm trying to figure out a homemade solution for Thursday. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking something with foil but I'm afraid the weight of the turkey would just flatten it.

I have seen people make homemade V racks by taking the grates from their stovetop and covering them in foil then putting then in the roasting pan at an angle so they form a V.

You could also just throw a bunch of veggies in the bottom of the pan.

Depending on the size and shape of your roasting pan, you might be able to use cookie cooling racks. I've had to do that a few times. GB's idea with the veggies does go toward some very fine tasting gravy though!!!!

I'd go with the veggies, PA. Whole carrots and celery under teh bird will raise it up off the bottom of the pan, keeping it out of the liquids and allowing heated air to circulate. Also toss in some thyme, onion and garlic. Your gravy will be pre-seasoned.

The veggie suggestion is a wonderful one. If you don't want to go that route and your stove grates are too big as you mentioned, try rolling several firm "logs" of heavy-duty foil and using those in the bottom of your pan.

Yeah, the veggies should work.

But in case they don't, or you are not sure they will, try putting a few inverted small loaf pans at the bottom of the roaster.

This should help keep the bird out of the fatty juices below.

PA Baker said:
It's not in the budget to go buy a new one right now so I'm trying to figure out a homemade solution for Thursday.

I did a quick Google search and found a multitude of roasting racks that would work under a turkey for $10.00 American or less.

If you really can't afford 10 bucks, use an inverted oven safe saucer or bread & butter plate. Stoneware would be good.

PA, I use my cooling racks in the oven quite regularly. Shhhhh! It works well in a pinch. Should do under the turkey if you don't have a huge one.

Back
Top Bottom