Keurig - What's Going On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
My Keurig has developed a problem. After I brew a cup of coffee, the blue light under the reservoir starts blinking and the word 'PRIME" appears in the display.

The manual says to remove the canister, clean it out and replace it. It's been happening so often, I just take the canister of and put it back on. It doesn't happen every time. Maybe 3-4 times a week.

Any ideas?

I've never had that happen...I don't take the reservoir off to fill, just use a pitcher to fill it. Maybe the contacts are not meeting right.

My daughter has a Keurig and has run across this problem from time to time. She does the same as you - pulling the tank off and replacing it. Sometimes she raps it gently on the countertop to dislodge any bubbles in the intake.

I know from owning a couple of high end espresso machines with water tanks that it's usually caused by air bubbles in the feed tube or intake valve. This makes the machine's sensors think there's no water in it, and that the circuit needs to be primed (and priming one of these bad boys isn't always a quick or easy thing to do). It can be triggered simply by filling the reservoir too quickly from the tap and creating a lot of aeration in the water.

We've solved the problem in our espresso machines by using only distilled water, which contains very little dissolved oxygen. Distilled water also has the advantage of virtually eliminating scale buildup.

If that's not an option, you might try what this guy recommends:

Keurig PRIME error -- ABSOLUTE FIX. - YouTube

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for the info. I watched the video and it makes sense. Then I watched several other videos and each has a different solution! The two little holes in the screen to allow air bubbles to escape is logical.

Call Keurig, they will replace your unit. That happened to me and nothing I did could fix it so they sent me a brand new one. It was a manufacturing defect.

Back
Top Bottom