Kitchen aide mixer: 300 watt or 325 watt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat

Assistant Cook
so i got some money for christmas and i want to buy a kitchen aide mixer. i have spent the whole day looking around and ran into problems. i saw a 5 qt 325 watt motor artisan for $299, or a 4.5 qt 300 watt motor for $199. my question is, how much of an actual difference is there between the two? will the 300 watt motor do just as good a job as the 325, or is the extra 25 watts worth the extra $100 price tag?

I'd go for the larger bowl and more powerful motor. As much for the extra quart of capacity as for the added wattage.

The bigger bowl is the selling point of the more expensive mixer. In all honesty, 25 watts doesn't equate to anything. There's nothing you could conceiveably mix in the 300 watt version (being reasonable of course...I guess if you wanted to try and mix concrete it might be an issue) that is going to strain it.

And even with the bigger bowl...you have to ask yourself if you could ever see yourself needing it. I mean, it's a half a quarter difference. That's two little cartons of heavy cream...

Shop the Amazon Friday Sale and the Amazon Outlet. You should be able to do a bit better than those prices. It isn't so much the 25 watts--it is the design.

Consider going for the professional model which isn't all that much more expensive. I had the opportunity to use one about a year ago, and I just loved it for two features (which may or may not be of benefit to you -- only you would know):

First was the really slow start option. I was making cake and it was the first time a mixer didn't kick the flour out!

Second, the bowl that hooks onto a lever system which raises and lowers (rather than being fixed onto the base in a screwing motion) was incredibly handy when I got to the icing part of my baking where I was working with boiling sugar syrup and butter and where temperature was key. With that type of bowl set-up, you could add another bowl underneath to help maintain temperature and offset the rise in temperature from the beating itself (this is key in making things like brioche from what I've read), or, alternatively, in some case where you want something to stay chilled, you could of course use a bowl of ice water.

Anyhow, I wish I could get that model here (it's only in the U.S.) so I'm green with envy at your situation!

Unless you make very large batches of things like bread dough, cookies, etc., the 4 1/2 quart bowl will be fine for you. Check on Amazon.com. I got mine there and I'm extremely happy. I have the Artesan with the 325 watt motor and a 41/2 quart bowl. It came with a handy pouring shield. I bought it new right before Christmas for $179.00. It's large enough to do3 loaves of bread and 2-3 batches of cookies at a time. I love it!

Actually, after looking around on ebay i found a refurb pro 5 for $240 with the 450 watt motor. after i used buy it now, i tried to pay for it and got an email a few days later saying they were out of stock and to check back later. this is the kitchenaid store at ebay, so it irked me because i couldn't find another one. looked a bit longer and found a refurb pro 6 with the 525 watt motor for the same price, with the 6 qt bowl-lift design. that one i was actually able to pay for, and it should arrive on monday. i bought that one from kitchenaid also, though i was a little leary since they irked me once before, but it's a good price. i figured for the price of a new artisan, i could get a refurb pro with more power, on the kitchenaid forums people seem to have no problems with the refurbs. appearances aren't all the important anyway, if it's scuffed i can deal. i plan on learning how to make bread and i do love to bake, i just haven't done much lately because the little hand-held mixer i have just doesn't do much when it comes to cookies.
anyway, thanks for the help though, i'm sure i'll need it when i start making bread, that's something i've never done before except for banana bread.

Back
Top Bottom