"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK, gonna pull the trigger on a FP.
At a member's suggestion, a mini is too small and I believe him. So I'm looking for comments on what might be the perfect size for me to get. I see there are 7's, 9's, 11's, 14's... it seems all kinds of sizes. Very confusing.
Is there such a thing as getting too big a one? I typically only cook for myself, so let's discount chopping an onion, but what about "capucchino cupcakes" (for instance)....
Can a FP really shred? Will it do something like a head of cabbage (cut into wedges maybe?).
Are multiple blades really that useful? Or do you find you leave the same blade in all the time?

Looking for any and all advice
And any considerations I may have missed.
Pecanis, I mentioned my Farberware (I had for about 20 years until it died). It came w several blades & a dough thingy. I was pleased with it, but it took up too much space (disks included). Bought a mini on ebay & tossed it, as it wouldn't even chop garlic. After I chopped & shredded everything in sight, the novelty wore off, & it sat on a shelf. I usually cook for one, & don't need to shred/chop ingreds in large quantities. I have a hand mixer, grater/chopper gizmo with different blades & a lid. The grated food goes into an oblong plastic container. Have a Magic Bullet that blends, chops & juices. If you don't need to shred/chop in large quantities & mostly cook for one or two, I'd go with a med size FP that will fit your cooking needs & space.

ETA: For me, it was a pain to wash/clean up all the dsks/blades, bowl, food pusher etc... & those blades/disks are VERY sharp. I don't mind getting my hands into the food, a mini workout, with a grater or mandolin. I have never put liquid in a FP. You might consider a blender. BTW, that leaked, & I dumped that too.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, it's not like I don't run into recipes that call for using a FP, like those chimichurri sauce recipes, along with your cupcakes Laurie. I'm sure it will get used for more, so don't feel too bad..... just a little (lol).
Let's see, there's also that Lazy Golumpki recipe that calls for shredded cabbage.... and maybe even making my own coleslaw instead of buying it in the bag. I'll have to compare prices next time I go shopping. I've never even boughten a head of cabbage before.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Between that 7c FP and my stick blender, I'm hoping I'm all set, Amy.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #54
Master Chef

Shred your own cabbage... so much better than the crud in the bag. Anyhow, I got a Cuisinart for a wedding gift and still use it today. At first I did not use it much, but now I use it more than ever. It has been a reliable appliance. I have a DLC-5 which is not the biggest model, but not the smallest either. At times I wished it was a bit bigger, but it seems to be fitting for me and my 2 member family. Mine came with the shredding/chopping blades. I guess it is about 15 years old now and still going!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

I noticed Cuisinarts have a lot longer warranty; 3 yrs on the unit and 5 on the motor, not that I would expect any of the big brands to have problems.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #56
Master Chef

I actually thought about upgrading mine recently and about died when I saw the prices on those things!!! I did not realize how pricey they were... thank God someone was kind enough to get one for me!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't understand it either. 50 bucks more to get a 2 cup larger capacity?! It doesn't make sense to me. That's what kept me away from the 9 cup, let alone looking at the full sized ones.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #58
Executive Chef

The REAL question is: Will it be a tool or a gadget?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

It will be a tool as long as it continues to be used.
At that point of time when it sits on the shelf for months on end.... it has become a gadget.

Or were we still supposed to ask Andy on this?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #60
Executive Chef

He'l say it's a tool....you watch.