"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Pasta Express

Has anyone tried this latest item being heavily advertised on TV, called Pasta Express? It's a cylindar type container with a lid. They claim you can "cook" pasta, asparagus, etc. in it just by pouring boiling water into the container over the ingredients (no other heat source needed). It seems completely impossible to me that anything will cook by just pouring boiling water on top without any continuous heat source, like some pastas need to cook for about 12 min. The temperature of the boiling water would definitely reduce with poured over any inserted ingredient wouldn't it, so how could the food stuff continue to cook? I think it's such a fake and, unfortunately, inexperienced cooks may think it's a wonderful new invention and be taken in. Just aggravates me or, perhaps I'm wrong and someone on here has actually tried it and it does work as advertised. If you get a chance, let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've seen it also. It's mainly being advertised on the Food Network.

I was going to order it, but instead, I ordered and got the Emerilware 8-qt. Stainless Steel Pasta Pot w/ Pasta insert from Cooking.com, which matches my Emerilware 10-pc. SS cookware set.

But I think the whole concept behind that is that you must let the pasta sit in the hot water for about the length of time that it would take to physically boil the pasta in a pot of boiling water.

~Corey123.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It seems like a complete waste of money to me. Pasta is not hard to make to begin with.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im with GB on this. Pure Junk. If youre going to boil water just put the darn noodles in the thing youre boiling it in. Heck you STILL have to clean up the plastic tube. You are actually creating MORE steps with this thing. Plus, Im sure the plastic will be hot and since its tall there is a chance you could knock it over. I could go on..... MANY reasons why not to get this thing. Try putting it in the dishwasher. Or sticking your hand in there with a rag to wipe it out. Seriously. Imagine a restraunt using this thing. They would laugh. Oh! And you want to make sure the pasta is al dente. Try getting some gnotti from the bottom of the sucker to check if it done.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

According to the ad, it's supposed to be dishwasher safe.

And supposedly, you can also make pasta salad or put some veggies such as broccoli and some grated chease in it to make a reeady-made pasta dish.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

here is a link to a recent discussion on the pasta tube thing, with great info from michaeltom...

The pasta cooking 'tube' Pasta Express?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Oh wow Bucky. Didnt see that before. Michael in FtW said it all for me.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Cook

There is a local tv news man that does "does it work thursday" he gets a new product thats being advertised. check out the short vid of this test
http://www.wreg.com/global/category.asp?c=7336
Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Executive Chef

That's also similar to the Pasta Pot, you know, that red pot with the perforated cover that locks onto the pot to drain the cooked pasta?

That was a chep piece of crap! The paint began to peel off and the Teflon coating inside also stated flaking & peeling! I threw it away in favor of the Emerilware Pasta Pot that I mentioned above.

But the Pasta Express might work for some, since there's no peeling paint or Teflon coating to deal with.

~Corey123.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
Master Chef

Well, now we know where Chef Jimmy lives - Beal Street, Blues and BBQ!

Corey - the Pasta Express and the Pasta Pot are nothing alike - except for the price. The Pasta Pot, while being cheap and not worth the money as for durability, works - the Pasta Express, well, doesn't.

Always willing to go for another opinion - check out what the Hartford Courant (Connecticut newspaper) had to say in their article, "Pasta Express Can Cook; It Just Can't Cook Pasta".