Rotisserie cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You already know I own one. Mine is a Showtime. I just toss everything in the dishwasher. No, some parts won't be shiny and new looking after a couple of uses but cleanup is a breeze! Sometimes I feel the need to soak some parts for a bit but that's not an issue either.

The newer ones I think come with a temperature setting - mine does not. That's the only thing I would want different but it's really not too big a deal the way it is.

We have a Showtime, too. We love it! Cleanup is easy - and I don't even have a dishwasher...:)

:) What is the difference using the cooker rather than an oven Im guessing it can make the skin more crisp which is what I would want.

:) Callie I dont have a dishwasher either I am the dishwasher.:LOL: :LOL: My other dish washer HB seems to have broken down and I have not been able to repair him.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

jpmcgrew said:
:) What is the difference using the cooker rather than an oven Im guessing it can make the skin more crisp which is what I would want.

With the rotisserie the "whatever" you are cooking keeps rotating, thus keeping in most of the juices and develops a crust, per se, on all sides.

Another extremely happy owner of good old Ron Popeil's "Showtime" rotisserie. Cooks everything beautifully - chicken, turkey parts, fish, duck - & is easy to clean as well. I particularly love the way duck turns out.

While I'm perfectly happy with my small original model (which I've had for years now), I understand that they've recently come out with a much larger version that can do a whole 15# turkey.

I own the George Jr. Rotisserie.

The thing that I like to roast the most in it is a whole chicken. And boy, does it taste good!!

I like to use dry rub on it and some lemon juice. When done, it looks and tastes better than the ones already cooked in the supermarkets.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Callie I dont have a dishwasher either I am the dishwasher.:LOL: :LOL: My other dish washer HB seems to have broken down and I have not been able to repair him.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I hear you! I AM the dishwasher, too :LOL: . mr. callie conveniently says I "do a much better job washing" than he does :rolleyes: I really don't mind, though.

Popular brand! I own a Showtime too! I inherited it from my Mom who likes to buy all these gadgets, doesn't have the room to store them & then only uses it once in a while. Good for me though cuz guess who gets 'em! :LOL:

I love the way the rotissiere cooks. As kitchenelf stated, it gives the outside a really nice crust while sealing in the juices. I need to broaden my horizons on what I cook in it though. I've pretty much stuck to pork loin cuz I love the crust it creates. It's a really good investment, just make sure you have the room to store it. ;)

I'm not supposed to have it, but I think the best part of a roast chicken or turkey is the skin when it's dry, crisp and golden brown!!

Then the tender moist breast meat.

Last edited:
Another crispy skin fanatic here - lol!!!

I love those "healthy" recipes that tell you to pull it off. I just laugh, enjoy the skin, & try to make up with healthy stuff for other days of the week.

Life is too short to always eat skinless poultry - lol!!!

Mmmmm!!

The beast meat is the most fat-free part of the bird anyway. next time I roast a turkey, I'm just going to do the breast part.

And BTW, the skin serves as a baster for the meat, helping to keep it most, tender and juicy, and there is also much less fat ther under the skin.

I like to watch the rotisserie spin the bird with the fat dripping off. Then I say to myself; "Wow, look at that, this unit is really cutting the fat!!"

Last edited:
I inherited my parents old timer but am a bit timid to use it. I'm curious about this Showtime brand. How long does it take to cook a whole chicken? How's it do with pork loin?

SizzlininIn - I can't help you out with your pork question, but as far as poultry is concerned, it's not much of a time saver, but the quality & crispiness of the bird is definitely better, in my opinion, to regular oven roasting.

Like cooking anything else, it all depends on size. I will say that the guidelines that come with the Showtime rotisserie have been right on the money so far time-wise. The average "roasting" chickens I usually do in it take about 1 hour to 1-1/4 hour. What's nice is that you can turn the heat off, but keep the rotation going, & your bird will stay hot & moist for another 45 minutes or so. I find that a GREAT help when I'm roasting one & don't know when traffic might hold my husband up a bit on his way home from work. The meat doesn't dry out, skin stays crisp - I'm telling you, I can't say enough good things about the Showtime brand. And I just have the little original one - they've come out with larger ones with more bells & whistles since I got mine.

As with most meats, pork loin is usually cooked by so many minutes to the pound. I believe that it's cooked to an internal temp of abut 165 degrees.

Not too much higher than that, or it will start to dry out and become tough.

Corey123 said:
As with most meats, pork loin is usually cooked by so many minutes to the pound. I believe that it's cooked to an internal temp of abut 165 degrees.

Not too much higher than that, or it will start to dry out and become tough.

Oh, please, don't cook a pork loin to that temp. It will be dry, very very done and almost inedible. Cook it to 145 or at most 150* and let it rest. It will be rosy and juicy and pretty good. They are just so lean now. I have all but given up on roasting, and just use braising recipes which are delicious.

Thanks so much for the information. I love baked chicken so this would be a wonderful change.....plus I'll save on the dreaded gas bill too.

Back
Top Bottom