"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Except you end of having to clean the darn thing, and if you're pouring coffee grounds down you sink drain you might as well invite the roto rooter man over for coffee.
I have never found that coffee grounds block a sink drain. My mum used to put coffee grounds down the drain on purpose. She believed that they absorbed grease. I don't know, maybe they do.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #72
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Except you end of having to clean the darn thing, and if you're pouring coffee grounds down you sink drain you might as well invite the roto rooter man over for coffee.
I've got no problem cleaning the little thing out. I'd have to clean out a regular coffee maker, so this is no different IMO. If you're worried about rinsing the grounds down the drain just tap it out into the garbage. Alternately, you can save your grounds to dig into your garden in the spring. Its excellent for your garden.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #73
Cook

Hi Alex, I too just got the Keurig yesterday and am having fun with it. Unlike you I did not do my research and was a bit dissapointed that it does not do cappucino's. I then went online and read everything there is between the Keurig and the Tassimo and it seems that the winner is Keurig.

I have been playing around with it and also bought the K cup attachment but read online that it makes a very weak cup of coffee....but not to dispair... people have figured out ways to reuse the spent Kcups and use those in the attchment and the strength improves considerably.

I always used the single cup Melita filter and have found that the Keurig really does not make a s strong a cup of coffee as I would like....I am thinking maybe you have to make small cups to get it stronger but have not experimented yet.

I bought the hot chocolate and set it for a medium cup and found it a bit weak, so I will try the small cup next time....

I am enjoying it so far and now I think I will go down and make myself a French bold...see if it is strong!!!

Oh how will I sleep tonight!!! uh oh
Old 12-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #74
Cook

UPDATE!!!!

Just made a French Roast on medium size and it is excellent. Better than the Melita!!! OK I have to buy a few boxes of this!!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #75
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If you buy the cups marked "Extra Bold." they are really good in an 8-10 ounce size. They are specially made for the larger cups. Same with the Cocoa, those are made for a 4-6 ounce cup.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabagoo
Hi Alex, I too just got the Keurig yesterday and am having fun with it. Unlike you I did not do my research and was a bit dissapointed that it does not do cappucino's. I then went online and read everything there is between the Keurig and the Tassimo and it seems that the winner is Keurig.

I have been playing around with it and also bought the K cup attachment but read online that it makes a very weak cup of coffee....but not to dispair... people have figured out ways to reuse the spent Kcups and use those in the attchment and the strength improves considerably.

I always used the single cup Melita filter and have found that the Keurig really does not make a s strong a cup of coffee as I would like....I am thinking maybe you have to make small cups to get it stronger but have not experimented yet.

I bought the hot chocolate and set it for a medium cup and found it a bit weak, so I will try the small cup next time....

I am enjoying it so far and now I think I will go down and make myself a French bold...see if it is strong!!!

Oh how will I sleep tonight!!! uh oh
I got the tassimo as a gift and the big difference is, the machine determines the cup size by reading the bar code, so a strong bold coffee will be just that. It made effortless cappuccino, and tasty too. My mom included some coffee disks and chocolate syrup disks to make mocha.

The keurig seems to be the clear winner for variety, that's for sure, but seems to take more experimenting to get a good cup, and I noticed their models vary greatly, some letting you choose cup sizes and some not. The Tassimo is much more limited in variety of coffee, but can do espresso, latte, cappuccino, tea, cocoa, and more. I think if you could combine the best of both machines, you would have one heck of a brewer! I think that if you are going for a simple cup of coffee Keurig is the way to go, but if you want lots of different drinks, Tassimo does that well.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I got the tassimo as a gift and the big difference is, the machine determines the cup size by reading the bar code, so a strong bold coffee will be just that. It made effortless cappuccino, and tasty too. My mom included some coffee disks and chocolate syrup disks to make mocha.

The keurig seems to be the clear winner for variety, that's for sure, but seems to take more experimenting to get a good cup, and I noticed their models vary greatly, some letting you choose cup sizes and some not. The Tassimo is much more limited in variety of coffee, but can do espresso, latte, cappuccino, tea, cocoa, and more. I think if you could combine the best of both machines, you would have one heck of a brewer! I think that if you are going for a simple cup of coffee Keurig is the way to go, but if you want lots of different drinks, Tassimo does that well.
I guess that is why I am fine with the Keurig, I just like a simple coffee, a little sugar and half&half. My days of buying $4 coffees are done.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I guess that is why I am fine with the Keurig, I just like a simple coffee, a little sugar and half&half. My days of buying $4 coffees are done.
At first I was concerned with the lack of choices compared to keurig, but in reality, most are going to find one or two coffees that they like and stick to them, so all of those other varities mean a lot less. I used a Maxwell house disk this morning and liked it a lot, so I may just stick with that.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
At first I was concerned with the lack of choices compared to keurig, but in reality, most are going to find one or two coffees that they like and stick to them, so all of those other varities mean a lot less. I used a Maxwell house disk this morning and liked it a lot, so I may just stick with that.
Cool, unfortunately I have about 8 "favorites." And yes, I can tell the difference and name them correctly
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #80
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Cool, unfortunately I have about 8 "favorites." And yes, I can tell the difference and name them correctly
OMG 8! Lol I must be very low maintenance when it comes to coffee!